Ladies and gentleman, mums and dads, boys, girls, brothers and sisters… Introducing 23 year old Nick Hagelin from Atlanta, Georgia – down south in the good ol’ US of A. He wears a salmon v-neck t-shirt, faded jeans, a couple of bracelets and a face that says ‘I know what you’re thinking’ for your pleasure.
So here are ten Nick facts as we know them…
01. He grew up in New Jersey.
02. He’s a trained ballet dancer.
03. He was in a band called ‘The Dinosaur Four’.
04. He pretty much taught himself guitar.
05. He cites Stevie Wonder as one of his influences.
06. He won first prize in the 2007 North Carolina Songwriting Contest.
07. He released an independent album called ‘Nice To Be Here’.
08. His aim is “to get people to feel good about love”.
09. He no longer dances.
10. His debut single is called ‘ICU’.
‘ICU’ is the singer’s major label debut single – and it tells the tale of a young man at a discotheque who spies a special someone on the other side of the dancefloor and for the rest of the night, he’s making stalker eyes from a distance.
“And for the rest of the night,” he says, “there’s only one thing that’s on your mind and that’s connecting with that person and dancing with them.”
He’s come a long way from studying the arts and playing at open mic nights to pretty much the barflies, and his debut album is set for release in the new year. No word yet on an Australian angle on this, but you can get your chops around the single below.