So those clever popsters from Aussie pop duo Parralox have cleverly called their latest album (released at the end of last week) ‘Recovery’. Not because they’re just getting over a bout of the latest flesh-eating virus, oh no. No, they’ve called it ‘Recovery’ because it’s an album of cover versions.
But not just cover versions of the tracks that get rolled out over and over again (‘Hallelujah’, we cry!), but covers of tracks from some of our favourite ever pop artists.
Yes, there’s Madonna! Pet Shop Boys! Erasure! Depeche Mode! ABBA! The Human League! So ‘pop’ is the word.
But again, the tracks are not the usual suspects. For example, the Madonna song is ‘Physical Attraction’; the Abba track ‘The Day Before You Came’ and the Pet Shop Boys track is ‘In The Night’.
Bandmember John tells us that this project sat on the shelf for the best part of two years while the twosome tossed up whether to set the concept free.
Thankfully they have, because there are some complete gems as part of the official tracklist (below, with original artists in brackets).
The band will release a new album project early next year. But in the meantime, get your mitts on Parralox’ cover-filled ‘Recovery’.
01. Eye In The Sky (Alan Parson’s Project)
02. A Little Respect (Erasure)
03. Physical Attraction (Madonna)
04. The Day Before You Came (ABBA)
05 Recovery ftg. Ryan Adames (Noel)
06. Somebody (Depeche Mode)
07. Touched By The Hand Of God (New Order)
08. The Model (Kraftwerk)
09. Headhunter (Front 242)
10. Heaven” (Beautiful World Remix) (Depeche Mode)
11. The Number One Song In Heaven (Sparks)
12. In The Night (Pet Shop Boys)
13. I Love You Too Much (The Human League)