01. Name : Stephen Teckenoff (Tecko).
02. Where are you based? Perth, WA.
03. How did you get your start in music? My Dad Louie always had guitars around the house so started messing about at around age six. Never really thought I’d be recording or anything like that but met a producer after being pushed to perform at a local open mic. Things started moving from there. Music’s always been a good outlet and creative escape. Its kinda cool know to be able to start sharing it with people.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Predominately I was mainly at first acoustic based, and still sometimes perform live solo or as a duo that way, but as things have progressed with releasing music working in a friends studio we’ve really been able to let things go and write differently each time. Each track can be fairly unique. Still often start with an acoustic vocal and guitar scratch to a click and then build from there. Sometimes you don’t really know where it’s going to go until you get moving. My first single ‘Almost Home’ was more indie folk driven, this next one ‘My Everyday’ is more electro-alternative.
05. Who have been your musical influences? All kinds of stuff I suppose. Early blues like Robert Johnson. Rock guitarists Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Jimmy Page, John Mayer. Other bands like Nirvana, Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Bob Dylan, Rob Thomas, Eddie Vedder, Black Eyed Peas, Foo Fighters, Blink 182, Chet Faker, Matt Corby, Dave Matthews, Eskimo Joe, Crowded House, U2, Adele.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? That’s a hard one… Kinda depends on your mood I guess. To name a few definitely Eddie Vedder’s ‘Society’ for the lyrics, and more currently probably Chet Faker’s ‘Talk Is Cheap’. Probably also Birdy’s version of ‘Skinny Love’ and Frightened Rabbit’s ‘The Modern Leper’. Really like the dynamics in that song.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. When I was four I wanted to be the prime minister, mainly since I wanted to wear the suit. Ironically I was quite shy so not sure how well that would have worked out.
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Have fun, and really enjoy what life has to offer. Also try to learn what you can from every experience.
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘My Everyday’ was quite a personal track. I initially wrote this song while struggling through some low points. The idea was to write a track about your everyday life. Sometimes things are not perfect. Sometimes you don’t even want to get out of bed. But if you hang in there, things always improve and will be for the better in the end.
10. What do your future plans involve? At the moment I’d love to get touring once the album’s finished. Currently five tracks in, so still writing a lot. That, and I guess just keep growing while meeting new people and friends along the way.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? In the next month or so locally in WA I’ll be playing at North Perth Music’s Song Lounge series at the Astor Theatre and Ellington Jazz Club. Also been asked to play at the Kinetic Dreaming Music and Arts festival and fundraiser in March. Have some plans to get over to the East Coast soon also. Still arranging dates.
WEBSITE : Under Construction
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/stephenteckenoffmusic/