For the next instalment in our ‘Get To Know’ artist series, we pose our eleven questions to gorgeous up and coming singer songwriter Wren about her new EP release, which includes the gorgeous track ‘Soldiers’, the video for which you’ll discover at the end of the story.
1. Name : Wren
2. Where are you based? Sydney.
3. How did you get your start in music? I started at age four, when my parents first took me to see an orchestra performing some classical works. I was immediately mesmerised by the first violinist and begged my parents to let me learn. They insisted I wait until age six, which only made me all the more determined to learn. Finally, when I turned six, they bought me my first, tiny violin, and I was hooked.
4. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. As I said, I began as a classical musician, with a love for the orchestra and strings. However, after an accident that rendered me unable to play the violin for an extended period, I began learning other instruments and singing to alleviate my performance withdrawal symptoms. From there I began developing my love of contemporary composition and lyrical expression. I had dichotomous interests and my love of both is what eventually brought them together.
5. Who have been your musical influences? My sound is heavily influenced by music for film, but I am also really in awe of Coldplay, Sigúr Ros, David August, alt-j, Bonobo, Glass Animals and Cinematic Orchestra.
6. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘We Will Rock You’ (Queen), ‘Come On Eileen’ (Dexys Midnight Runners), ‘Whip It’ (Devo), ‘Thunderstruck’ (ACDC), ‘Never Going Back Again’ (Fleetwood Mac), ‘You Sexy Thing’ (Hot Chocolate).
7. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I am into weight lifting, yet also obsessively cook in a highly decorated apron. Can someone please explain this to me..?
8. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Be true to yourself and your unique sound. It may take longer to find your niche, but it is a much more profitable and enduring investment.
9. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Raw’ is my first release. I intended it to be just that; raw, stripped back, honest, contrasting with intricate sections. My aim was to really communicate to people what mere words couldn’t.
10. What do your future plans involve? I am hoping to do an Honours Degree in Music this year, but aside from that I will be recording another video clip, hopefully releasing a single and recording my next body of work, which I have just completed writing!
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Brisbane at Ric’s Bar on February 12, Melbourne at The Penny Black on February 13 and Sydney at the Oxford Art Factory Gallery Bay on March 6.
WEBSITE : www.artistwren.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/wrenproductions
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/wrenproductions
INSTAGRAM : wren_productions