Introducing a brand new feature on the brand new auspOp. It’s called ‘Get To Know’ and it’s where we ask eleven simple questions to up and coming artists and bands so they have the chance to get the word out there and you have the chance to discover some amazing new music.
1. Band name. Flower Drums.
2. Where are you based? Perth.
3. How did you choose your band name? It was literally the first thing that came to mind as I was uploading the first demos to Soundcloud.
4. Who are your members? Aden Senycia, Leigh Craft, Sam Perejuan, Rhian Todhunter.
5. How was the band formed? The project originally began in Melbourne as a bedroom recording thing, then a few days before moving back to Perth I met Aden and we’ve been writing music together since. I met up with Sam and Rhian once I was back in Perth so we could play live and it continued from there.
6. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? It’s actually changed heaps because originally everything was written on guitar and then played live before we recorded. Now most of the music is written on protools either starting with piano chorus or the beats. I think that’ll always be the case, it’s more interesting if the writing formula is ever changing.
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. It’s pretty much electronic based pop music with a dreamy down tempo thing going on. We really love that weird dark slow sounding stuff.
8. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? That is pretty much the hardest question of all time. SWV’s ‘Right Here’, Ariel Pink’s ‘Haunted Graffiti – Round and Round’, Limp Bizkit’s ‘Re-arrange’ and Michael Jackson’s ‘Stranger In Moscow’.
9. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Don’t Wait’ is the most recent track we’ve released. It’s a collaboration with Perth artist St. South. We wrote the music six months before and for some reason the vocals never seemed to fit, so out of the blue we asked Olivia from St. South if she would be interested in adding some new ideas and she totally nailed it!
10. What do your future plans involve? We want to tour as much as possible and do the live thing more. Also putting out as much music as possible, we have so many ideas at the moment so hopefully we can record and release loads of new music this year.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? We’re having a Launch party on Feb 20 @ The Bird in Perth.