Pop! Yes, it’s time for another fine instalment in our Get To Know band series.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve brought you a raft of sensational fresh talent from across this fine country of ours. And today, we’re headed west to get to know another sweet up and coming pop outfit on the verge of mainstream amazingness.
It’s GRRL PAL and their eleven quick-fire questions start… NOW!
01. Band name : GRRL PAL
02. Where are you based? Perth, WA.
03. How did you choose your band name? Danny wanted to call us GALPAL but when we Googled that a whole bunch of dildos came up… and we figured we don’t have enough money to get sued by a dildo… when you typed in ‘Girl’ on the urban dictionary thesaurus.. you got GRRL; thus GRRL PAL was born.
04. Who are your members? Danny K and Jay Le Kat. When we play live, our friend Jake too.
05. How was the band formed? We went to high school together and then one day Danny came to me and asked me to sing for this new thing that he was putting together and it just worked super well and it is so much fun! But writing songs does vary! It’s all about whats inspiring us and influencing us that day!
06. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Probably the biggest change has been in the way we write! Danny always writes the music and then we both sit down and write the lyrics and melodies together. At the start, it could take us weeks to come up with a song that stuck and now that we have worked out a method that works for us. We can usually pump out a song in every session! But writing songs does vary! It’s all about whats inspiring us and influencing us that day!
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Our sound kind of fluctuates between blissed-out dream pop to glitchy fun electro dance beatz. But we always make sure that it’s lots of fun.
08. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Eeeee that is such a tough question. It changes all the time! Jay says maybe ‘Limit To Your Love’ (Feist’s version…). Danny says the James Blake version is better but Danny’s mum says the original is the best. Danny’s loving Vic Mensa, Outkast & Jai Paul/AK Paul at the moment and I’m loving…
09. Tell us about your latest release. We had so much fun writing ‘Dare’. The song has changed quite a few times but the story stayed the same. We always like to come up with an idea for a song before we start writing the lyrics, so we wrote ‘Dare’ about a game of spin the bottle under the influence.. of something.. and it worked and it was so much fun! It was also co-produced by Parker Ighile. He’s written some amazing songs; it was his idea to make “come with me” the chorus and to put the siren sound in.
10. What do your future plans involve? We just want to play as many shows as possible and keep on releasing music!
11. Where can our audience catch you live? We are releasing our EP in April at The Bird in Perth and we are super excited!
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/grrlpal
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/grrlpal
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/grrlpal
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/grrl-pal