Hot the heels of the release of his new nine track album ‘Through The Forest’, we connect with Victorian singer songwriter Benny Walker who gives us a little insight into who he is, where’s he’s come from and where he’ll be in the weeks ahead if you like what you hear. It’s the latest in our Get To Know series.
01. Name : Benny Walker
02. Where are you based? Moama, New South Wales. It’s on the border of NSW and Vic, across the river from Echuca.
03. How did you get your start in music? My dad is a guitar player and both my grandfathers were or are musicians. I grew up thinking it was pretty normal to play an instrument. I started piano lessons at the age of eight. A couple of years later dad showed me a few chords on the guitar and I haven’t looked back.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Early on I was into Eric Clapton and the way he could be this amazing blues guitar player, but also, write such great songs. I’ve been in bands since the age of 12 and played everything from acoustic stuff to fuzzed out Nu-Metal on a seven string guitar and everything in between. Some of the first stuff I played was old surf songs and Chuck Berry tunes.
05. Who have been your musical influences? Eric Clapton is a big one. Ben Harper is also really versatile and I love the soul he puts into everything he does.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? Oh that’s a tough one. ‘Little Wing’ by Jimi Hendrix. ‘For The Summer’ by Ray LaMontagne is up there too.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I never have a good hair day!
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? No one will do it for you. It won’t work unless the artist is steering the ship.
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Through The Forest’ came out on March 6. It’s a bit darker than my previous recordings. In saying that, I feel like there are some really uplifting moments in there as well.
10. What do your future plans involve? I’ve just kicked off a national tour and am touring Canada in August.
11. Where can our audience catch you live?
Friday March 27 : Darwin Railway Club, Darwin WA
Saturday March 28 : The Arnhem Club, Nhulunbuy NT
Thursday April 09 : The Junk Bar (Skukum Lounge), Brisbane QLD (Benny solo)
Friday April 10 : Thornbury Theatre (Ballroom), Melbourne VIC
Sunday April 12 : Newtown Social Club, Sydney NSW
Saturday April 18 : Suttons House of Music, Ballarat VIC (Benny solo)
Sunday April 19 : The Wheatsheaf Hotel, Adelaide SA
April 24 – 26 : Mount Beauty Music Festival, Mount Beauty VIC (Benny solo)
Friday May 01 : Beaches Hotel, Thirroul NSW
Sunday May 03 : Rhythm Hut, Gosford NSW (Benny solo)
Wednesday May 06 : Mothers Milk, Sawtell NSW (Benny solo)
Sunday May 10 : Redcliffe On the Murray, Pinjarra WA