For the latest in our ‘Get To Know’ series, we touch base with a young woman who’s scared of matches, loves the Spice Girls, as a new single she hopes you’ll surrender yourself to and is playing a gig tonight! Let’s cut straight to the chase.
1. Name : Nicole Skye.
2. Where are you based? Brisbane, Australia.
3. How did you get your start in music? Music has always been a big part of my life. I have been writing music since about eight years old. I was in the school choir and the school band. Then when I left school I got my bachelor’s in music, then I lived in Singapore for two years working as a singer dancer at Universal Studios and doing other various shows. I came back home to really focus more on my own music because that has always been my main focus.
4. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I guess from singing from such a young age my voice has developed and through out the years I have been able to find my own sound. It’s also an influence from people that I have met, other musicians/singers etc. My songs are pretty much a diary of my life, a mixture of feelings, emotions and experiences I have had. When I came back from Singapore, I decided to get my songs professionally produced by ‘Anolog Heart Studios’ (Stuart Stuart Producer) and he was also a big help with the production and how my sound formed. My songs range from ballads to electro pop… whatever I’m feeling at the time.
5. Who have been your musical influences? I grew up listening and trying to mimic female powerhouses like Celine Dion, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys, Whitney Houston, Delta Goodrem etc. These days I love listening to Jessie J because of her flawless vocals. I love listening to Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, Rod Stewart and Jim Croce because they are real story tellers.
6. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Lately’ by Stevie Wonder (the song has such emotion) and anything from the Spice Girls (takes me back to my childhood).
7. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I am scared of lighting a match and I LOVE drinking the juice from a pickle jar!
8. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Last year a friend from university told me, “As long as you do things with your heart and soul, thats all that matters.” Thats always stuck with me with everything I’ve done. Whether that be writing lyrics or in a relationship or in a job. I believe we should always be true to ourselves and do things with our heart and soul.
9. Tell us about your latest release. My latest single ‘Surrender’ is now available on iTunes (HERE) or better yet my Music video is now out too (HERE). The ‘Surrender’ (Cavo Remix) is now on rotation everyday on 105.7FM Radio Metro. The song retells the day that I almost lost my dad when I was ten years old. I remember like it was yesterday. I got home from school and I saw my dad in the rocking chair and he could barely speak a word to me. That day he said his goodbyes and we all thought we would never see him again. I wrote this song in 15 minutes one Sunday afternoon. It just came to me and I was writing it with tears running down my face, as if I was ten years old again.
10. What do your future plans involve? I am currently finishing my album. I will release a few more singles and music video clips and continue to gig and share my music with people.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Wellington Point Hotel – 13th March. Brewski – 14th June
WEBSITE : www.nicoleskye.com
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/NicoleSkyeMusic?ref=hl
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/nicoleskyemusic
INSTAGRAM : https://instagram.com/nicoleskyemusic/