It’s ties at ten paces, a total absence of colour and moody glances to camera. But there’s not a single briefcase in sight, because this is entirely different band of solicitors.
In the latest in our series and timed to coincide with the recent release of the band’s new single ‘(You Should See) The Look On Your Face’ (video HERE) we take the time to ‘Get To Know’ The Solicitors.
1. Band name : The Solicitors .
2. Where are you based? We’re based in Melbourne, Australia.
3. How did you choose your band name? It took a while to come up with something we really connected to. We always wanted a ‘The’ name as all our favourite bands are ‘The’ bands, then it was just finding the right one. We went with Solicitors because we like the different connotations that could be extrapolated from it.
4. Who are your members? Lee Jones (Vocals, Guitar) Laf Zuccarello (Guitar) James Manning (Bass & Vocals) Matt Stirling (Drums).
5. How was the band formed? Me (Lee) and Laf formed the band. We actually met online just before I moved to Melbourne from England. I posted some demos on some AusMusic forums looking to ‘form’ a band before I’d even got here. Me & Laf sent each other music videos and stuff of our favourite songs and it just clicked, even before we’d met or had a jam. Then we set about finding a rhythm section…
6. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Basically what has changed mostly is the rhythm section. It took Laf and I quite a while to find the people that fit with us and our style/influences etc. We went through a bass player and a few drummers to finally get to the point where we’re at now, all singing from the same hymn sheet. Our sound has evolved & become more a sum of its parts now too, there are four equals all stirring the pot rather than me writing the songs and the band just performing them.
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. It’s very influenced by late 70’s/early 80’s New-wave/Post-punk. I guess Pub-Rock is probably the right term. It was never the most popular genre in its day, even less so now. So I guess you could say we’re an acquired taste, but it’s the music that we love listening to and making. Not a lot of bands sound like us and we like it that way.
8. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Lee- ‘This Must Be The Place’ Talking Heads, Laf – Ramones ‘Questioningly’, James – The Kinks ‘Mr. Songbird’, Matt – Vanilla Ice ‘Ice Ice Baby’. I guess if you put that all together you’d get a pretty good idea of our sound.
9. Tell us about your latest release. Our latest release is the second single from our debut album ‘Blank Check’. It’s called ‘(You Should See) The Look On Your Face’. It’s one of the slower songs off the record but it’s still pretty upbeat. It’s about cosmetic surgery and the gambles that go with it, and how as humans we are conditioned to conform to an image stereotype. It’s not as deep as it sounds though.
10. What do your future plans involve? Well we have this single and video to promote with a run of gigs. Then its back to the rehearsal room to work on some new material. We already have a few new songs shoehorned into the live show and they are really exciting. A more mature and slightly edgier sound that we are starting to cultivate as the four of us gel more and more as time goes on. We may end up in a recording studio sometime in the coming months, we haven’t quite planned our next move yet, we’re still basking in the afterglow of releasing our first album proper.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Sunday 8th March at The Barwon Club, Geelong. Saturday 21st March at Revolver, Melbourne. Sunday 22nd March at Warrandyte Festival. Thursday April 23rd at Luwow, Melbourne. Keep an eye on our website and facebook though, as new stuff crops up all the time.
WEBSITE : www.thesolicitors.org
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/thesolicitors
TWITTER : twitter.com/the_solicitors_
INSTAGRAM : instagram.com/The_solicitors_band
SOUNDCLOUD : soundcloud.com/the-solicitors-1