If her new single ‘Just Don’t’ is anything to go by, Perth artist Ani-K is well on her way to being one of this country’s most sought after pop artists. It’s slick, danceable and totally addictive. Hard to believe, then, that she’s dropped it before even reaching her teenage years. Here, we Get To Know Ani-K.
01. Name : Anica Karu (aka Ani-K)
02. Where are you based? In Western Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I was always told I had a talent for music. I started seriously pursuing music professionally at ten years of age. Shortly before turning 11, I co-wrote my first song and recorded it.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound is still developing. At present, I like pop. However we are experimenting with different genres and producers and are open to advice and collaborations.
05. Who have been your musical influences? As a child, I listened to a lot of Renee Geyer, Norah Jones, Whitney Houston, Destiny’s Child, Lionel Richie and Stevie Wonder, so I have a bit of a jazzy note to my voice. I now listen to a lot of pop music, as the age entails, so artists such as Pink, Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran, Sia and Sam Smith are people I love to listen to and admire their song writing skills.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? I’ve been thinking about this lately to make a playlist! Honestly, it’s a huge jumble of songs from many different artists. I love ‘Get The Party Started’ by P!nk, and ‘Cry Me A River’ by Justin Timberlake to mention a couple.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I am quite a self-conscious person. I prefer not to talk about my music and what I do outside of my school life with my friends.
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? The best advice I’ve been given in my career is probably to never take anything people say seriously. Only listen to people who matter to you.
09. Tell us about your latest release. I have just released my second single, ‘Just Don’t’. You can find it on iTunes, Spotify and associated media. I wrote this song after watching the documentary ‘Bully’ and after Charlotte Dawson and Amanda Todd passed away. Three people whose lives were gravely affected by bullies.
10. What do your future plans involve? I would love to tour the world, especially Europe and the USA. We are looking for artists to support. I’d love to see my songs improve someone’s life. I think that is a big compliment in itself to an artist.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? We have a few big gigs in the pipeline for later this year. When we know the details, we’ll share them on our website.
WEBSITE : www.iamanik.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/anicakaru
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/anicakaru
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/anicakaru
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/iamanik