Introducing a 19 year old songstress who’s set to make big waves via her debut single ‘Chemicvl’. Described as a “hypnotic, dark, electro-pop sensational” by her publicists, the track sees the Melbourne native dealing with the issues of depression and addictions. It’s an intriguing proposition.
We ask eleven pressing questions to Evangeline in an attempt to get to know her – and her debut single – a little better.
01. Name : Evangeline.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? Growing up I was a big fan of the TV and there seemed to be a strong theme to my favourite channels and programs: Channel [V], MTV, Rage etc. By the age of six, I already knew what it was I wanted to do and my parents put me into a weekend performing arts school. After primary school hours I was racing between acting, music and dance classes. I knew I wanted to write. I had to just a live a little so I had substance and reason to my writing.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound has made a few changes over the last three years. When I began songwriting, it was a folk acoustic sound – a bit Kate Miller-Heidke-esque with my operatic training. Although the more hard core gigs I went to, I started to really want that heavy background, so I went on to writing more of a rock pop style. I think this year though is the year I feel fully comfortable with myself and my writing. I kept the dark edge of heavy music and then weaved in my love of RnB and chill trap and now it seems, I am classified as dark electro pop.
05. Who have been your musical influences? It changes every week! I love The Amity Affliction (forever and always – haha) Joy, Purity Ring, Eves the Behavior and the list goes on.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? Oh man, making me choose – OK. ‘Youngbloods’ by The Amity Affliction, ‘Open Letter’ by The Amity Affliction, ‘I Come Apart’ by A$ap Rocky featuring Florence Welch and really getting into A$ap Rocky’s ‘L$D’.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I do a killer Britney Spears impression haha!
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? To be thankful to everyone who helps you and grateful for absolutely everything, and I am. It’s simple, and you are consciously aware, but the reminder to be grateful can be an important one.
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘CHEMICVL’ is a song I wrote about a friend. I think the most important lyric of the song is; “This poison is a metaphor he doesn’t want to live anymore.” It was the first lyric I wrote and from there on the song is a lyrical battle between the honest side effects of smoking and drugs. It was really important to me to have this song as my first official release. It really means a lot to me.
10. What do your future plans involve? My future plans involve writing! Hopefully a lot of it … I am really excited to just experiment deeper with lyrics and sound. I also am so keen to get some live shows down. I love live shows.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? At the moment I am actually putting together a brand new live set and really mixing in some new elements! So now is the time to stay tuned as I will be announcing some Melbourne shows coming soon…
WEBSITE : http://www.evangelinemusic.net
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/evangelinemusicofficial
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/Evangelineaus
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/evvngelines
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/evangelinemusic