You’ll no doubt have notice that the lovely Nussy is currently advertising her new single ‘My Heroin’ with us on the site (you’ll be wanting to head straight to iTunes to buy it HERE) and support her for supporting us. We don’t ask for much more around here…
But who IS Nussy? Yes, she’s been consistent in her amazing pop offerings of late, but we decided it was time to get to know her a little more in our latest feature.
01. Name : Nussy.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve been playing piano since I was four and used to sing in choir at church when I was younger, so music was something I had a real passion for from a really young age. I played in bands through high school and studied music at uni, which was where I really knew this was something I wanted to make a career out of.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I would describe my sound as electro pop. As an era, I really dig the 80s and how bands like New Order and Depeche Mode were really developing the use of synths in pop music. I think it all just progressed from there – I started getting into more recent electro music and really enjoyed combining those ‘retro’ sounds with more current ones. And from there, Nussy was born!
05. Who have been your musical influences? From an early age I was always a Madonna fan – not just from a musical perspective but also as an influential woman in the music industry. I’m so in awe of how she has managed to stay relevant and have a career spanning four decades! More recently I’m into artists like Robyn, Purity Ring, Sky Ferriera & Chvrches.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? Such a hard question! I’d have to say: ‘1901’ by Phoenix, ‘Dancing On My Own’ by Robyn and ‘Comfortable’ by John Mayer.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I am a huge sci-fi fan!
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Someone once said to me, “write what you know” and I’ve really tried to stick with that. I think honesty is the best way to connect with an audience. It’s like, “this is me, take it or leave it” and it gives my audience a little insight into what it’s like to be in Nussy-land!
09. Tell us about your latest release. I am so excited to be releasing ‘My Heroin’. It’s quite a bit darker than my previous releases so I’m really eager to see how people receive it!
10. What do your future plans involve? I’m hoping to release another EP later this year.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? To support the release of ‘My Heroin’, I’m playing two launch shows: Friday 17th July at The Shadow Electric (Melbourne) and Thursday 13th August at Oxford Art Factory – Gallery Bar (Sydney).