Introducing Sydney based songstress Sirena, who’s just dropped her latest single ‘Your Kingdom’, which serves as a self-empowerment anthem and a piece of advice to her younger self. For our Queen’s Birthday Holiday weekend, we bust out the latest in our ‘Get To Know’ series and find out a little more about Sirena and her new track.
01. Name : Sirena.
02. Where are you based? Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? I have always been involved in performing arts; starting ballet at three and progressing into many different forms of dance and then into singing at aged 12.
I started at local singing schools then continued at Newtown High School of the Performing Arts and Brent Street.
I began song writing and furthered my vocal training at Sevcon (formerly Jaanz School of Singing) and performing my original material in local clubs and music venues. My first solo show was at The Vanguard in Newtown in 2009.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My taste in music has always been very eclectic, so trying to find my sound when I first began song-writing was a bit of a personal journey.
After the first few songs and working with different producers, I feel I have found a unique sound now that reflects my personality and life experiences. I believe artists should write music that not only suits their taste but suits their voice as well. Know your strengths and weaknesses and never be the new version of an existing artist; always be the first “you”.
05. Who have been your musical influences? People are astonished when they hear that my favourite artist of all time is Tori Amos. My sound is far more pop, but I’m a very emotional person and her lyrics and haunting vocals speak to me in a way that no other artist ever has or ever will. I thank my brother for introducing me to her music when I was in high school because before he played me Tori, Fiona Apple, Foo Fighters and Chill Peppers my CD collection was dominated by Mariah Carey and Celine Dion.
My influences in recent years have been Lady Gaga and Sia. Lady Gaga is a born performer with a natural maturity in her vocals from her years of singing in New York clubs.
Sia’s vocals and vast range of song-writing sets her apart from the rest. It’s always exciting to see an Aussie conquering the ever-elusive US music scene and I love the way her career subtly and successfully transitioned from indie to pop.
The line has been blurred between pop and indie recently and I love it! You can never pigeon hole a true artist.
Sia has proven it’s more than possible to appeal to a wider audience whilst still remaining true to your unique sound.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? I have always wanted to be asked this question as I mentally create this list all the time!
My favourite song of all time is ‘Siren’ by Tori Amos; it was from the 1998 soundtrack of ‘Great Expectations’. Not many people know it; it’s so unique and I’ll never get sick of it.
I think Madonna’s ‘Vogue’ is one of the greatest pop songs ever written, because it’s a simple melody that does not date. It’s fun to include funky things such as dubstep but that immediately puts an expire date on your song.
I could go on forever but other favourites include;
‘Marry The Night’ – Lady Gaga
‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ – Queen
‘Rhiannon’ – Fleetwood Mac
‘Forgiven’ – Alanis Morisette
‘Love Takes Time’ – Mariah Carey
‘True Colours’ – Cyndi Lauper
‘My Love’ – Sia
‘Brother’ – Matt Corby
‘Ex-Factor’ – Lauryn Hill
‘Under The Bridge’ – Red Hot Chili Peppers
‘The Zone’ – The Weeknd ft Drake
‘Stairway To Heaven’ – Led Zeppelin (I don’t care how cliché it is, it’s perfection)
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I can’t ride a bike! I was given one with training wheels when I was six, fell off it and said “that’s it, I quit”.
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? This industry is full of rejection but I have learned not to take it personally; because it’s never personal. I get very sensitive when offended in my personal life yet it doesn’t affect me with music anymore because I’ve realised how subjective music is. What one person may love another may hate. I can’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I can be someone’s champagne. I know how hard I work so I leave the rest up to fate.
The best piece of advice I’ve taken away was not given to me directly but given to the ‘Australian Idol’ contestants by Lady Gaga when she popped in a few years ago to impart some pearls of wisdom.
When asked if she ever received any rejection, Gaga responded; “Yes I got a tremendous amount of rejection, and I told them all to f#ck off”.
09. Tell us about your latest release. Whilst I’m very proud of all of my original material, my current single Your Kingdom has been my favourite to date. I’ve received so much positive feedback from the song, even from people not inclined to listen to pop music at all. The message is strong and empowering and perhaps female oriented.
In a society where I see young women comparing themselves to celebrities and models or even getting surgery to emulate others I feel something has been missed. I refer to this song as an anthem to young women and advice to my younger self because it’s a reminder that you must never look anywhere but “within” to find all the power and happiness you’ll ever need.
You do not need to look like anyone else and you do not need a certain outfit, status or relationship to validate your existence. We were created as the perfect version of ourselves so we must dust off our crown and claim our throne.
10. What do your future plans involve? I am currently working towards creating my first album, only a few more songs to go! I was in the studio a few weeks ago and cannot wait to share this new track with people because it’s so different from the current release. I am also working towards creating some acoustic versions of my songs which would make my act more flexible for different types of venues.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? I always post notice of my gigs on all of my social media pages, so check out my website for the next show.
WEBSITE : http://sirenabystephaniebruno.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/SirenaByStephanieBruno
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/Sirena24061983
INSTAGRAM : https://instagram.com/sirenabystephaniebruno/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/buffybruno