• You might have noticed in our ‘New Songs To Radio’ post on Facebook on Thursday that Will Young’s name was mentioned. ‘Love Revolution’, the lead single from the former UK ‘Pop Idol’ star’s recently-released album ‘85% Proof’ was serviced to media this week, marking the first time that a Will Young song has made it to Aussie media since (from memory) the ‘Friday’s Child’ project.
• Former ‘The Voice’ star Anja Nissen has been confirmed as the support act on the upcoming Olly Murs tour. Anja will perform at all five of Olly’s dates, which kick off at Perth Arena on August 04.
• Jenny Lewis has announced an exclusive Sydney headline show during her visit for Splendour In The Grass. The LA-based singer songwriter will hit the stage at the Newtown Social Club on Wednesday July 22. Tickets are on sale from 10am local time on June 19.
• It’s official; new music will be released on Fridays across the planet from Friday July 10. Australia’s been doing the Friday release thing for almost ten years now, but the US and the UK (along with 43 other countries) will fall into line with us from the middle of next month, with the UK shifting from Mondays to Fridays and the US shifting from Tuesdays to Fridays. It means in effect the whole world will get their hands on the same music on the same day. Check out www.newmusicfridays.com for more information.
• One Electric Day will return to Melbourne’s Werribee Park on November 29. The line-up is headed by John Farnham, but also features Noiseworks, Daryl Braithwaite, The Black Sorrows (with Vika & Linda) and Pseudo Echo. Tickets for the eight hour musical extravaganza are on sale from 9am on Monday June 22.
• Country star Adam Brand has teamed up with fellow country performers Drew McAlister, Travis Collins, Matt Cornell and Mike Carr to form a new band called Adam Brand & The Outlaws. Though there’s no further information to impart at this stage, we’re advised that an album and a national tour is on the way very soon.
• After overtaking Taylor Swift again on last week’s Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, Wiz Khalifa has maintained his No.1 crown for a second consecutive (eighth non-consecutive) week. Taylor’s still at No.2 and gaining on the airplay side of things. Jason Derulo moves into the No.5 position with ‘Want To Want Me’ and Omi is on the verge of cracking the top ten with former Aussie No.1 ‘Cheerleader’.
• And they did it here in Australia, they did it over in the UK and now Florence & The Machine have a No.1 US album in the bag, premiering in the top spot on this week’s Billboard 200 Albums chart. Taylor’s still rolling at No.2, A$AP Rocky’s effort drops to No.3 and everything really is four for Jason Derulo, whose fourth long player lands at (you guessed it) number four!
• And to discover what’s happening on the charts back here at home, don’t miss our weekly Chart Watch, live from 6pm on the East Coast!
TUESDAY JUNE 16 : Lior (Nationally)
WEDNESDAY JUNE 17 : The Rubens (Nationally)
WEDNESDAY JUNE 17 : Sam Smith (Nationally)
FRIDAY JUNE 19 : Jenny Lewis (Sydney)