Earlier this month, we brought you a cheeky free download from up and coming LA-based pop starlet Krysta Youngs.
‘Xanax (A Love Song)’ is an interesting beast, lulling you into thinking it might possibly be a straightforward guitar ballad, before bursting into a chorus of beats, synthesisers and power vocals. But what of Krysta herself?
We decided to get to know her a little better via our probing questions.
01. Name : Krysta Youngs.
02. Where are you based? Los Angeles, CA.
03. How did you get your start in music? When I was four years old I started taking piano and dance lessons. By the time I was eight my mom made me decide between the two. I absolutely hated wearing tights, so for me the choice was easy. I quit dance and never looked back. To this day I still hate wearing tights.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I grew up in Flint, MI and I wanted to take voice lessons, but my only choice was classical. After I graduated from high school I went to Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA and I was exposed to this whole new world of pop. It was during those years that I started developing my voice. For a while I tried to sound like the singers I admired and then one day I said screw it… this is my voice and I’m going to embrace it. Now I take my limitations and turn them into my biggest assets.
05. Who have been your musical influences? Top 40 radio cause I’m all about da that song ;) Fleetwood Mac, 2pac, Live, Imagine Dragons, 1940s music ’cause it makes me happy and most recently Sia and X Ambassadors.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Boys Of Summer’ – Don Henley, ‘Missing You’ – John Waite, ‘Slow Dancing In A Burning Room’ – John Mayer, ‘Lightning Crashes’ – Live, ‘Hit Em Up’ – 2Pac, ‘Bulls On Parade’ – Rage Against The Machine, ‘Time After Time’ – Cyndi Lauper, ‘Live To Tell’ – Madonna, ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ – Journey, ‘Chandelier’ – Sia. And the list goes on and on…
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I have a funny habit of talking to myself when I’m alone. I literally have full on conversations with myself.
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? I had coffee with Lindy Robbins a couple of months ago and her advice to me was “not to miss out on my life while I was working toward success.” Lindy’s written ‘Want To Want Me’ by Jason Derulo, ‘Classic’ by MKTO, ‘Slow Down’ by Selena Gomez, ‘Skyscraper’ by Demi Lovato, and the Hot Chelle Rae hit ‘Tonight, Tonight’. I respect her opinion very much and knew when she told me that it would be something I would never forget.
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Xanax (A Love Song)’ is the most personal song on the EP and the song that really defines me as an artist. The name of the upcoming EP is called ‘Prescriptions’ because each song is a remedy for how you’re feeling.
10. What do your future plans involve? I’m going to start working on a full length album. I’ve been spending some time gathering titles and concepts that inspire me and I’m excited to see where that leads me. In my spare time I also plan on taking over the world ;)
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Right now, in my shower ;) But stay tuned.
WEBSITE : www.krystayoungs.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/krystayoungsmusic
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/krystayoungs
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/krystayoungs
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/krystayoungsmusic