A few weeks ago, we brought you a rather beguiling new single entitled ‘Habit’ from Sydney-based duo Ginger & Drum. With its echoed vocals and reserved electronic production, we said at the time that we could imagine it “being piped through the speakers of some inner-city hipster bar”.
The band is celebrating the release of said new single today with a show at the Oxford Art Factory in Sydney tonight. So what better time to Get To Know Sydney duo Ginger & Drum?
1. Band name : Ginger & Drum.
2. Where are you based? Sydney, Newtown.
3. How did you choose your band name? Quite simple really, ginger babe + rowdy drummer = Ginger & Drum (“The most literal band name in the world”). It still makes us cringe a little though… But I think that is mostly the case with band names.
4. Who are your members? Zoe Gault – Keys, Vox, Synths, Samples. Andrew Rawson – Drums, Percussion and Samples.
5. How was the band formed? Well we first started as a folk duo while studying at uni… After some time studying uni overseas we decided to come back serious! That’s when Ginger & Drum was formed and ready to punch out a more full sound.
6. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Lots! Well we’ve played around with different music styles folk, indie-pop (if that’s a thing?) and now some sort of electronic hybrid of the three. It is definitely the most comfortable we have felt and really proud of our new content. We’ve also experimented with our line-up, from a two piece… to four… and now back to two again.
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Our music is a bit like walking into a big South American cave lit with sun-light, and walls glittering with green moss. But there’s a shite load of spider webs so you know it’s hiding a bunch of evil and when the light fades there’s a killer suspense… Or you could say our music is restrained, singer-songwriter driven indie pop that floats over melodies but is always hooked into the beat.
8. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Andy : Pink Floyd ‘Pigs (Three Different Ones)’… Roll yourself a fat ‘cigar’, sit back, chillax and tell me I’m wrong. Zoe : Fleetwood Mac ‘Landslide’.
9. Tell us about your latest release. Our new tune ‘Habit’ took months of tireless production, with every kick painfully analysed and every vocal lick considered. We were really focused on Gault’s ethereal vocals swirling dreamily above a badass baseline and earworm-worthy synth arrangements.
10. What do your future plans involve? GIGS! Getting pumped to bust out our fresh and new live show. Fresh tracks, new stages and sweet gettups. Looking forward to getting rowdy and doing what we love to do.
11. Where can our audience catch you live?
Oxford Art Factory, Sydney – 28th August
Penny Black, Melbourne – 5th September
Oxford Art Factory, Sydney – 24th September
The Lass O’Gowrie, Newcastle – 25th September
Shadow Electric, Melbourne – 16th October
WEBSITE : http://www.gingeranddrum.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/gingeranddrum
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/gingeranddrum
INSTAGRAM : https://instagram.com/gingeranddrum/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/gingeranddrum