You know you’re doing something right when the people at iconic label Verve sign you up to release your debut album. But that’s precisely what’s happened for Australian duo Falls.
Said debut album ‘Omaha’ is due to drop early next month, so we decided to throw our eleven probing questions over to Melinda from the band to get the low-down.
01. Band name : FALLS
02. Where are you based? Darlo via Darwin via Los Angeles.
03. How did you choose your band name? Choosing a band name is a tricky thing… we started out as The Falls, which kinda turned us into family because it became almost like our last name…. we were ‘The Falls’. But when we came to America, like many bands, the lawyers told us we had to lose the ‘The’! So now we’re just Falls.
04. Who are your members? simon + melinda
05. How was the band formed? Falls came about kind of by accident… We never actually planned on writing together. We lived together in a big share house with a bunch of other musicians and one of us would be working on a song and the other would chime in with an idea. Before too long we had a whole bunch of songs that were a little bit of both of us.
06. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Well, neither of us had ever sung before we formed Falls, so I think the biggest difference is we are much better at what we do now. ☺
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We’re a little bit Simon & Garfunkel with some Fleetwood Mac on the side. We love the Beatles, The Byrds and The Beach Boys and with this record, while we have referenced our influences, we have tried not to imitate them… hopefully we’ve created something that is uniquely us.
08. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? (in unison) : ‘God Only Knows’ by Brian Wilson & Tony Asher
09. Tell us about your latest release. We spent the past 18 months on the road in the US playing shows and writing songs and it’s those songs that have become our debut album ‘Omaha’. Named after the place in the middle of the country where we eventually stopped to record them.
10. What do your future plans involve? We love touring and being on the road, so hopefully a lot more of that! I’d also like to do some tooled leatherwork in my spare time and make us both new belts.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Usually somewhere tiny, and a little bit magical! We’ll be squeezing ourselves into Some Velvet Morning in Melbourne on September 08 and The Hollywood Hotel in Sydney for three nights the following week.
Falls’ album ‘Omaha’ will be released on Friday October 02.
Their single ‘Let In The Light’ (listen below) is out now.