We might not have featured Melbourne duo IO (eye-oh) on the site before, but after seducing us with their recent single ‘Lotus Land’ and now doing it all over again with the totally sexy, super saxy, seductive instrumental of their new tune ‘Superposition’, their time in the auspOp sunshine starts now.
It’s time for you to Get To Know IO.
01. Band name : IO.
02. Where are you based? Collingwood, Melbourne.
03. How did you choose your band name? After long discussions into the night we came upon a word representing a Greek god, a moon of Jupiter and Input / Output – IO.
04. Who are your members? Tony Barnao & Ed Service.
05. How was the band formed? IO started as two high school friends who became one for a moment in a psychedelic experience upon the Town Belt of Wellington. On a moonless, starlit night exquisitely lost upon the hill, Tony and Ed gazed into one another’s faces, with tears streaming down their cheeks they witnessed the history of life in the universe unfold upon each others faces for what seemed like hours. From there it was essential that we spread the message of what we had discovered and IO was born.
06. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? What started out as two kids messing around on an ancient laptop on Garageband has organically morphed into a highly complex, internetworked, setup using analog and digital gear as well as saxophone, guitar and vocals synced into a dense electronic setup allowing for endless live improvisation.
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. IO create psychedelic, soulful, electronic, jazz influenced, dance music. Songs are never finished but in a state of living composition. Live, we respond to the crowd, improvise and jam on in a party that never ends.
08. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Chic – ‘I Want Your Love’ (Todd Terje edit), DJ Koze – ‘Homesick’ (ft. Ada), Pantha Du Prince – ‘Behind The Stars’ and ‘Naima’ by John Coltrane.
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Superposition’; the possibility of being everywhere at the same time! An organic living reflective tune born out of a studio jam. I think ‘THUMP’ said it better than we ever could;
“Superposition is a departure from their forlorn vocal driven pop efforts, and marks their arrival at a far distant place. Tony and Ed have found a sun soaked and care free sound inspired by a trip that has bound them forever. Dubbed sax motif’s loop over a stuttering collage of recycled Rhodes pianos and friendly space age FX (think E.T.) as the pair deftly build a living composition to a climactic point.”
10. What do your future plans involve? Developing and deepening our sound and musical relationship, endlessly searching for songs and progressions tapping directly from the energy source of the universe.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? IO regularly play at clubs and venues around Melbourne as well as festivals around Victoria. IO’s next show is a double single launch of ‘Lotus Land’ and ‘Superposition’ at Hugs & Kisses on October the 2nd with special guests.