Passerine. An outfit we first featured on the site back in January this year, they’ve just released their latest single ‘Look Up’.
But how well do we really know them? That’s what our regular ‘Get To Know’ feature is designed to unveil, as we throw across eleven little questions to some up and coming acts in the hope of discovering more about them.
So let’s ‘Get To Know’ Passerine.
01. Band name : PASSERINE.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you choose your band name? We went on a vision quest into the desert and after four days with no water, we saw it spelled out in the stars.
04. Who are your members? Phoebe (vocals, viola), Ben (bleeps), Alex (drums).
05. How was the band formed? Initially the band was a seven piece disco act, but the sound was moving in a more electronic direction, so late last year we replaced five people with one, Ableton wizard – Ben. It’s a great writing dynamic now, we work really well together.
06. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? After our symphony orchestra phase, we scaled down to a manageable, seven piece disco outfit. We’re now operating a lean, mean, three-piece machine, making more electronic music. In a few years once Skynet goes live, it’ll just be a robot.
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We call it galactic soul breaks – it’s a little bit ’90s house, a little bit UK garage, a little bit breaks, with soulful vocals, massive beats and weird, glitchy electronica. It’s equal parts electronic and analogue, past and future.
08. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Phoebe : Massive Attack – Unfinished Sympathy, David Bowie – Let’s Dance and Radiohead – Reckoner. Ben : Ugh hard choice, maybe; Silent Shout – The Knife, No One Knows – QOTSA, Everywhere – Fleetwood Mac
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Look Up’ is a glitchy dance track with some old school house piano and UK garage vibes, but mixed in with our acoustic kit and soaring vocals. A crazy production piece with lots of synths and quirky edits.
10. What do your future plans involve? Touring ‘Look Up’ along the east coast, releasing our next single and the EP soon, and, keep your eye out for a cheeky cover which will be coming out in a couple of weeks…. Once we finish that, we’ll start assembling the Millennium Falcon.
11. Where can our audience catch you live?
October 22 at Hugs & Kisses, Melbourne
October 23 at Transit Bar, Canberra
October 24 supporting Icehouse at Albury Entertainment Centre
October 29 at The Small Ballroom, Newcastle
October 31 at The Newsagency, Sydney
November 06 at the Black Swan, Bendigo
WEBSITE : www.thisispasserine.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/thisispasserine
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/thisispasserine
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/thisispasserine
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/thisispasserine