Sydney singer songwriter Siki Daha has poured all of his life experiences into his just-released album ‘Loveorlogic’. With a couple of home-town residencies up his sleeve, where audiences will get to hear tracks from the LP, we decided to throw the questions in Siki’s direction in the latest edition of Get To Know.
01. Name : Siki Daha.
02. Where are you based? Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? After things weren’t working with some major labels I decided to pack up my things and take my music to Europe and The States and from there on my journey as an independent artist began and now here I am on my second album ☺.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I always was fascinated by singers like Sade, Natalie Cole, Natalie Imbruglia and wanted to create music that had a touch of sophistication but a commercial feel to like they did. The style is titled Sophsti-Pop which is laid back, chilled out sophisticated pop music with real stories and lyrics with meaning behind it. The sound I think really got developed when I was working on my EP ‘Love x4’ where I was really able to find where my voice sat best and what instrumentation worked where my vocals wouldn’t get drowned. And that’s pretty much where it stems from.
05. Who have been your musical influences? As I mentioned… Sade, Natalie Imbruglia, MJ, Janet, Mariah, Whitney, Marvin Gaye, Dionne Warwick and Stevie Wonder, Aaliyah.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? Aaliyah ‘Try Again’, Mariah Carey ‘Fantasy’, Sade ‘No Ordrinary Love’, Dionne Warwick ‘Walk On By’, Michael Jackson ‘Remember The Time’ & ‘Ben’, Janet Jackson ‘Someone To Call My Lover’, Whitney Houston ‘Just The Lonely Talking Again’.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I am a flaming Homosexual ☺ LOL
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Never follow the crowd because the crowd may take you to places you don’t want to go. Natalie Cole said that to me (I will never forget it) and be your own hero and make your own path!
09. Tell us about your latest release. It’s titled ‘Loveorlogic’, I spent about about a year working on this and wanted to take my time after moving back from Europe and The States. The songs through ut the album talk about using love or logic through out situations in life. I had quite a few encounters this past year where that was the case so I wanted to talk about it through my music.
10. What do your future plans involve? At the moment I am focusing on getting the album out there and doing more live shows and keeping the buzz alive.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? At the moment me and my band The Good Vibes have two residencies, one on Saturdays at the brilliant Downtown Pizza Bar in the cross and the other at The Eveleigh Hotel in Redfern (Sydney) and one off shows here and there which you can see on my Facebook page or facebook.com/sikigoodvibes