Singer songwriter Connor Grant has just released his debut EP. The self-titled four tracker, released under his ‘Whisperer’ moniker, came about via a new direction for the performer, after leaving his band of five years.
“During this period I had no job and a lot of spare time, so I started writing every day,” he says. “There was no agenda or ambition for the material I was producing, it was just a creative outlet to explore. In truth, the songs on the EP are some of the first songs I have ever written.”
So we wanted to scratch the surface a little more and ‘Get To Know’ Whisperer.
01. Name : Connor Grant (aka Whisperer)
02. Where are you based? I’m based on the Gold Coast, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started playing hardcore music with my friends and that took me around the country touring quite a bit. But as far as this project, once I left that band I started just writing for fun until I had a few songs I really loved, then I decided to take it a bit more seriously.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. When I started writing for this project I was really into Bon Iver, S Carey and stuff in that vain. I enjoyed the authenticity of their music and I wanted to replicate that in my own way. Instrumentally, I’ve found that my roots in hardcore music shine through a little in the tracks I just released, which I like because I think it gives it a unique twist.
05. Who have been your musical influences? For the tracks I’ve released, I think they took influence from This Will Destroy You, Bon Iver, Bring Me The Horizon.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? “Where Are ü Now (Jack Ü and Justin Bieber), ‘Can’t Feel My Face’ (The Weeknd) and ‘Telegraph Ave’ (Childish Gambino).
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I like kicking the footy and OJ.
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Hmmm I don’t know, I guess I’ve always believed if you’re going to do something, do it right, regardless of time and money. I’m sure someone told me that haha.
09. Tell us about your latest release. The ‘Whisperer’ EP was written over about six months. These songs are some of the first songs I’ve ever written which I’m pretty proud of. All of the tracks collectively some up the last year of my life and a few things I went through.
10. What do your future plans involve? Shows! We’re working towards playing shows. I’ve also been writing quite a lot lately and I’m really excited about new music, it’s definitely a step up in my own opinion.