They might be a long way from Hollywood (or Venice Beach) at the moment, but four plucky young chaps from the Gold Coast have dreams of making it there someday.
Hot on the heels of the release of their latest single ‘Summer Romance’, the boys are on the receiving end of our probing questions in the latest edition of ‘Get To Know’.
01. Band name : Hollywood Heartache.
02. Where are you based? Gold Coast, Australia.
03. How did you choose your band name? We wanted something flashy that was catchy and represented who we are. I guess the word ‘Hollywood’ was used because that’s where everyone dreams to be right? We hope to travel overseas in the future with our music and LA would be amazing!
04. Who are your members? AJ – Vocals, Kev – Vocals/Guitar, Will – Vocals/Bass, Josh – Vocals/Drums.
05. How was the band formed? Will and Kevin had played in a band previously before and wanted to start something new with a fresh sound. To complete our line up we needed a drummer and another singer. We knew Josh from a previous band that he played in and thought it would be a good idea to steal him and we found AJ on Gumtree… Yeah we know, weird, better then Craigslist though right?
06. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Probably the biggest change has been the business end of things and how we get ourselves out there. We have already learned so much more than we used to know and keep learning everyday. There’s no set way in which a band should do things but there is certainly do’s and don’ts.
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We have only been a band for about a year, so we have yet to discover our true sound. Our EP is a mixture of a lot of things to be honest. We have our lead single track ‘Summer Romance’ which is a mainstream feel good summer song and then we have a chill acoustic song which borders on having an indie feel to it. We even wrote an experimental electronic song called ‘Goodbye’ which ended up being awesome and a favourite for many fans.
08. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Some songs we love and are listening to right now are Justin Bieber – ‘Sorry’. Justin’s new musical direction has me hooked. A lot of the instruments that are being used in his songs are so different to his other work and other artists in general, I love it! – Will
Macklemore ‘Downtown’ because it’s such a good sing a long with friends in the car and you feel like a boss when you rap it. ‘Good For You’ by Selena Gomez because I know she wrote it about me. – Josh
The Vamps ‘Wake Up’. There’s just something so appealing about young, ambitious love and The Vamps new sound is just awesome! – AJ
5SOS ‘Hey Everybody’. I didn’t love this song at first, but after having a few more listens it grew on me and the melody got stuck in my head. It’s such a catchy in your face song and great to sing along to in your shower. – Kev
09. Tell us about your latest release. Our debut EP ‘Eager Hearts’ came out on October 28th and already has had an amazing reception. Everyone loves it and it was great to finally have a solid release out following our two previous singles. You can download the whole thing for totally free on our Facebook page or you can order a signed physical copy from our merch store along with heaps of other stuff.
10. What do your future plans involve? Next year it would be super cool to start getting some larger support slots for bigger bands. We really just want to get our music out to as many new ears as possible. On top of that we are also already getting stuck into some new music so I’m hoping our next release will be bigger and better than ever.