British singer Kymberley Kennedy has turned a dark chapter in her life into something free and empowering via her latest EP, which is released today. And though we’ve featured her a few times on the site in the past, we thought the EP’s release presented the perfect opportunity for us to Get To Know her a little better.
01. Name : Kymberley Kennedy
02. Where are you based? York, England, UK.
03. How did you get your start in music? I used to feature on other peoples’ tracks (DJ A.Skillz, Cut La Roc, etc) and then I realised I wanted to make my own music. I started to learn how to use DAWs so that I could create my own sound.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I guess it evolved from raw emotions. I would write lyrics that held meaning for me and work with a beat that complimented it and just begin layering vocals, instruments. I like my songs to have a lot of texture vocally and it’s a lot of fun playing about with different vocal sounds or pitch shifting and time stretching vocals. I like playing tricks on your ears :)
05. Who have been your musical influences? Michael Jackson, Massive Attack, Portishead to name a few. But I love lots of different music and I like finding new and undiscovered acts to listen to.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? I love ‘Glory Box’ by Portishead. It’s timeless. I like ‘Play Dead’ by Bjork too. She has an amazing voice and range.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Hmm, I used to be pretty good at gymnastics…. now I mainly stick to doing eyeball gymnastics (I can make one eye point one way and the other another way). I can keep it up for ages. It really freaks people out. It’d freak you out!
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Don’t judge your ‘behind the scenes’ by other peoples’ success. You never know what sort of struggles other artists have been through in order to get where they are. They have been where you are.
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Make Me Wanna’ EP is my uncompromising declaration of sexual liberation, dominion and exploration. I wanted to release this to reflect my self-assurance after coming to terms with a sexual assault by an ex-boyfriend. The EP consists of three original tracks and two remixes by Nick Thayer and Busta.
I’m currently doing a mini radio tour and filming live sessions with my band to promote the EP, alongside hosting a remix competition on SoundCloud. We’ve had some great remixes in so far.
We’ve also got some free downloads of additional remixes available for fans to take advantage of
10. What do your future plans involve? I’m currently writing and recording my album which is a lot of fun, but also a lot of hard work. Fingers crossed, it’ll be ready by June 2016.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m promoting my EP (‘Make Me Wanna’) with a special London gig upstairs at The Garage on Nov 20th with some great support acts, Livvy Nicole and Fire_Sign. I’m also very lucky to have such an amazing band (Dave Soulsby (keys), Miles Williams (guitar), Michaela Winship (bass), Andrew Meredith (drums)).
WEBSITE : http://www.kymberleykennedy.com
FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/kymberleykennedy
TWITTER : http://twitter.com/kymberleyk
INSTAGRAM : https://instagram.com/kymberleykennedy/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/kymberley-kennedy/