Melbourne’s Beautiful Beasts have delivered their new single, which is fresh, juicy and infused with the right kind of fruity flavours that’ll have your summer humming.
Take a bite of their ‘Papaya’ as we Get To Know them in our latest feature.
01. Band name : Beautiful Beasts.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you choose your band name? The name Beautiful Beasts represents the two halves of our music; the beauty of the melodies and emotions created by our music, the beasts part represents the individuality of each member.
04. Who are your members? Andy Pope – Vocals/Guitar, Matisse Burton – Bass/Backing Vox, Tyler Campbell – Drums, Adrian Verna – Guitar/Backing Vox.
05. How was the band formed? Beautiful Beasts was formed in mid-2013 by Andy whilst all the original members were studying Music together at TAFE as an outlet for his own songs and as a vehicle for new collaborative songs.
06. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? A lot has changed since we first started, in terms of lineup we’ve reduced from a five-piece to a four-piece and have had a new guitarist join the band in late 2014. Our sound is probably the biggest change that’s happened since we started; when we first began we were almost a folk band with lots of hushed melodies, acoustic guitar and piano, but gradually with the changes in personnel and the experience of touring and playing songs to people who have never heard us before our sound has changed to more of an upbeat funky pop sound.
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. I like to think of Beautiful Beasts’ sound as a combination of classic soul/funk grooves and catchy pop songwriting, with modern production and lots of hooks. Just classic good time music!
08. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Andy : ‘I Wanna Be Your Lover’ – Prince. Matisse : ‘Everyday People’ – Sly and the Family Stone. Tyler : ‘Baby Blue’ – Action Bronson ftg. Chance The Rapper. Adrian : ‘BlindBlindBlind’ – Silver Mt Zion.
09. Tell us about your latest release. Our latest single is ‘Papaya (Room to Move)’ which we’ve been playing in our live set for ages. It’s a tropical funky pop jam, produced and mixed by Robert Amoruso from Jakubi. We just put out a video clip which was directed by Adrian’s brother Marc Verna and we just got a bunch of people to ride around on roller skates for the day and party!
10. What do your future plans involve? We’re currently writing and recording heaps for 2016, we’re playing on having another single out early next year and then an EP later towards the middle of the year, and heaps of shows around town in between!
11. Where can our audience catch you live? We’ll be playing a launch show for our latest single and video clip on Dec 11th at the Grace Darling Hotel Basement in Collingwood with support from Diamonds of Neptune and The Love Dogs.