Canadian outfit Paper Lions may describe their sound as “a little rock, a little pop”, but there’s absolutely nothing rock about their latest single ‘Believer’, which was given a local release recently via Aussie label Elevnth Records (via Shock).
With such a feel-good pop-laced ditty catching our attention, we just had to Get To Know Paper Lions a little more.
1. Band name : Paper Lions.
2. Where are you based? Charlottetown, PE.
3. How did you choose your band name? It was a random pairing of words. We stumbled onto ‘Paper Lions’, and liked the way the words sounded, and the associated imagery.
4. Who are your members? John MacPhee, Rob MacPhee, Colin Buchanan, David MacDonald.
5. How was the band formed? We all grew up together, Rob and I are brothers, Colin our next door neighbour growing up, and we went to highschool with Dave. Although we had jammed together on and off during school, it was shortly after graduating that we decided to make a serious go of it.
6. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Over the past decade, we’ve been through a lot individually, and as a band. We were essentially kids when we first formed. Looking back, relationships, starting families, making records, tour successes and flops; all of these experiences, good and bad, have molded us into who we are now as a band.
One of the biggest changes from then to now is the way we write and perform. While we’ve always pushed ourselves to become better songwriters and performers, it seems like over the past year or so, we’ve dug deeper than ever before.
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. A little pop, a little rock.
8. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Good Vibrations – Beach Boys.
9. Tell us about your latest release. Over the past two years, we have developed a methodical approach to songwriting. We meet and work every day, writing and recording songs for the new album. It is easily our most ambitious record to date.
10. What do your future plans involve? The new album is slated for release in 2016, and with it, will come a lot of touring.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Not exactly live, but the best place for the time being is YouTube – www.youtube.com/paperlions