Phil Hancock’s been absent from the pages of auspOp for more than three years, but that all changes this morning as we chat about his new single ‘Orchestra’ in the latest in our Get To Know series.
He says the song, out now, was written about “escaping a toxic relationship with someone stuck deep within a cult-like community”, leaving in style, with his dignity still in tact.
Over to you, Phil…
01. Name : Phil Hancock.
02. Where are you based? Brisbane, Queensland.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve been singing since I could breathe. And being a massive fan of pop music as a kid, I always wanted to write my own. So once I got a keyboard for my 9th birthday, I started writing pop songs as I taught myself piano. When I was 17, I began gigging around Brisbane, and I’ve been performing and releasing music ever since.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I class my music as “theatrical piano pop”. Over the years, I’ve been told my style is quite cinematic and musical-sounding, and because I’ve loved pop music my whole life, I’ve always just instinctively made my songs super catchy. So I like to think of my music as if Broadway created a pop album.
05. Who have been your musical influences? Right now, my biggest inspiration is Emeli Sandé. Her music is so authentic and I really connect with her as a piano-based singer/songwriter. It’s my dream to write with her one day. And of course, growing up in the 90’s and loving pop music, I was obsessed with Britney Spears, Delta Goodrem, ABBA, Katy Perry; Lately, I’m loving The 1975, Seinabo Sey & Jon Bellion.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? I think ‘Teenage Dream’ by Katy Perry is the world’s best pop song. ‘Moon River’ is the world’s most beautiful song. And ‘The Winner Takes It All’ by ABBA is the song I wish I’d written.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I used to love bow ties and wear them on a daily basis. So much so, I had my own bow tie fashion line a few years ago.
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Work towards having the most kick-ass Wikipedia page of yourself.
09. Tell us about your latest release. My new single “Orchestra” is a high-energy pop jam about saying goodbye to bad friends, and going out in style! I was in a really toxic relationship with someone and I had to get out as soon as possible. Once I was out of there, I wrote this song to empower myself and others to cut and run, and go out with a bang!
10. What do your future plans involve? ‘Orchestra’ is the first taste of my next EP, ‘Fox’, which will be out early next year. The music video will be released to coincide with that, and I’ll also be taking my music to America in February next year.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m currently planning an Australian tour next year to coincide with the EP release, so keep your eyes peeled!
WEBSITE : http://philhancockmusic.com
FACEBOOK : http://facebook.com/philhancockmusic
TWITTER : http://twitter.com/thephilhancock
INSTAGRAM : http://instagram.com/philhancock
SOUNDCLOUD : http://soundcloud.com/philhancock