Don’t know Jade Alice? Well you’re in luck this Australia Day.
She recently pipped all others at the post by winning the Bank Of Melbourne’s Melbourne Music Bank 2015 and will see her latest single ‘Kick Drum’ feature in an advertising campaign for said banking institution.
So Australia, presenting our latest Get To Know feature with the lovely Jade Alice.
01. Name : Jade Alice.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? Having grown up amongst the extraordinary noises of a musical household, music was always around me from a very young age. I would sleep backstage when my parents toured and before I could talk my dad would play piano and I would make up songs in gibberish and sing along! I’ve been creating music ever since.
04. Tell us a little but about your sound and how it developed. My sound has developed over time into a bubbly amalgamation of electro-pop, indie and folk fusion, writing songs that draw on my encounters with first-love, fantasy and, of course, food.
05. Who have been your musical influences? I have been deeply influenced by the music of Kimbra, Joni Mitchell, Queen, Matt Corby, Broods and Taylor Swift. They all have their own unique abilities as storytellers and I hear new things each time I listen to their songs.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? Some of my favourites songs of all time would have to be ‘Your Song’ by Elton John, ‘Life On Mars’ by David Bowie, ‘Settle Down’ by Kimbra, ‘God Only Knows’ by The Beach Boys and ‘You Belong With Me’ by Taylor Swift.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Little fun fact about me – I have two kidneys. I also love custard tarts.
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? I think the advice that has helped me most in this industry is to never be self-conscious about your work and never doubt it – no one else in the entire world could have created it the way you did. Comparing your work to someone else’s can be the thief of joy. Trying to emulate another person’s work because you think that’s what a good song sounds like is insane because your ‘best’ is always going to sound different from someone else’s ‘best’.
09. Tell us about your latest release. I have just released my new song ‘Kick Drum’, and the melody for it actually came to me in a dream I was having! The song is simply about the feeling of effervescence and uncontrollable happiness – a feeling that I hope resonates with others when they hear it!
10. What do your future plans involve? My future plans are to share my music with as many people, through as many forms, as I can – releasing recordings through EPs and albums and hopefully being able to tour with them!
11. Where can your audience catch you live? You can come and see me perform live at The Shebeen in Melbourne for my single launch on the 18th of February! I might even do a stage dive… probably not, but it will still be heaps of fun!