It would appear that Melbourne starlet Aura’s year has got off to a cracking start, inking a deal with indie Riot Expert Records and just releasing her second ever single ‘Out Loud’.
The track’s cool, she’s got a gig coming up to launch it in the coming weeks and we’ve decided to Get To Know her a little more via our latest feature.
01. Name : AURA.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve always loved singing and started writing music when I was 12 when I was learning to play guitar and a bit of piano. When I studied music in VCE, I got into country music and learned how to yodel – that was kinda cool. Country music is so cool because each song is just like a short story. Then I sort of gave it all up as I hit uni etc. I was still making music, but I didn’t really play shows nor release anything. Then I met my manager a year ago and I guess she sort of forced me to get back into it all. She’s cool as.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed.
I guess I was influenced by a lot of pop electronic music that was coming out and started experimenting with electronic music through my Mac using logic and ableton. I loved how pop music wasn’t just this happy anthem or some big love song anymore and I guess I just liked writing about general life situations and getting all those feelings out. I started mixing, experimenting with cool beats and different vocal sounds and layering. Vocals have always been a big part of pop but I like how they’re being used in weird and different ways.
05. Who have been your musical influences? BANKS, The Weeknd, Taylor Swift, Bon Iver, Chvrches, Lorde, Glass Animals, David Bowie, Miley Cyrus (don’t judge, her voice and her song writing is great).
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? It’s a new one but ‘Shake It Off’ by Tay Tay is so great – I literally get so happy when the song comes on. ‘Holocene’ by Bon Iver. ‘Jolene’ by Dolly Parton. ‘Take On Me’ by A-ha. And ‘Don’t You Want Me’ by the Human League. But I’ll probably change my mind on these in a month or so. I go through phases I guess.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’m in love with dogs. And by love, I mean I will literally get so excited when I see one and I will have to go up to it to say hi. But I’ll understand if they’re shy and don’t want to meet me. I read a lot of stuff on dog psychology and physiology so I like to think I know a bit about them. My own dogs’ names are Nala and Nambi. I’m studying to become a VET someday, so yay for me.
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Hmm! I’m not really sure who told me this or if I’ve just learnt it from things but I think something to just remember is that my own needs and wants are valid; meaning I should believe in my self and my capabilities. It’s cool when people suggest things you should do in your career/life in general, but you should always check in with yourself and see if that works with you.
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Out Loud’ is my second single and it’s about regretting not saying something in this one moment, but thinking about the things I wish I had said. It’s about that time I thought by not saying these things then, it would ruin my chances with someone. Don’t worry though because we’re now together and it’s all good. I guess the song helped!
10. What do your future plans involve? Recording the rest of my EP to be released in April which I’m really excited about. Probably a few more shows, hopefully interstate as well. Also I’ll be doing my final year of uni this year, so hopefully graduating with a science degree! Yay. But fingers crossed my EP sounds dope, so it can bring a year of musical happiness for me.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? For my new single release, I’m playing a show at the Grace Darling in Melbourne on the 17th of March.
FACEBOOK : facebook.com/auramusicaus
TWITTER : @auramusicaus
INSTAGRAM : @auramusicaus
SOUNDCLOUD : soundcloud.com/auramusicaus