Sydney producer Aves answers our eleven pressing questions in the latest in our Get To Know series, all in support of his latest single ‘Truth’, which dropped to digital retail on Thursday.
There’s an EP incoming too, but we’ll let Aves tell you all about it.
01. Name : AVES.
02. Where are you based? Sydney, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve done a couple of music projects before, but AVES all started early 2015 with a track called ‘For Me’. It got some decent online love and everything has just rolled out smoothly since.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Before I was ‘AVES’, I was in an acoustic duo with a friend of mine, Jake. We played a lot of shows, and I slowly started experimenting more with producer-based music. I became obsessed with synths and started appreciating the whole “indie pop” scene, I feel like I still am developing my sound and always will be otherwise it might get too boring but at the moment that’s where I am!
05. Who have been your musical influences? A lot, namely, The Wombats, Broods, Grimes, possibly even Paramore? They’ve always influenced my song writing a lot.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? Ahhhh, that’s tricky… ‘Our Perfect Disease’ – The Wombats, ‘Be A Body’ – Grimes, ‘Energy’ – Drake.
07. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. The first time I ever sang on a stage was at a Karaoke night and I performed a Shannon Noll song, fun fact!
08. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Just keep creating, the more you create the greater your skills grow. Trial and error is everything.
09. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Truth’ is well, extremely truthful. I tend to fabricate certain experiences but with this one I just wrote how I felt, kind of like a big old “f**k you” to a select few I’ve had to push out of my life. It was a big step as a songwriter to capture my emotions and exactly how I was feeling in song, like I have in ‘Truth’.
10. What do your future plans involve? There’s an EP coming! It’s all written and recorded, but I’m super indecisive so it may never see the light like the other 3+ EPs I wrote last year. But I do have a great feeling this one is the one! Hopefully it’ll be out by mid year.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Can’t really say anything just yet, but if you catch me on Facebook/Twitter etc all info will be out there once I know more myself!