Meet colourwaves (all lower case).
The Sydney native has just dropped the music video for his latest single ‘Archons’, which is the hors d’oeuvres, if you will, to his forthcoming EP release, currently slated for April.
Though his past is deeply rooted in hardcore, his now sound is a million miles away.
So join us as we Get To Know colourwaves.
1. Name : colourwaves.
2. Where are you based? Sydney.
3. How did you get your start in music? I started playing drums in primary school and played in punk/post-hardcore bands until late high school, started messing around with recording myself/guitar after high school which evolved into tinkering with synths and production software at about age 20.
4. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound developed from raw experimentation with synths, a few samples and my voice. I didn’t really plan what style my project would be. I guess it has developed into a more refined, beat-driven electronic, ambient/dream-pop sound.
5. Who have been your musical influences? The Radio Dept., The Depreciation Guild, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, The Smiths, Animal Collective, HTRK to name a few.
6. What are your favourite songs of all time? Lee Hazlewood – ‘My Autumn’s Done Come’, My Bloody Valentine – ‘To Here Knows When’, The Smiths – ‘This Charming Man’.
7. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. My reward for finishing my upcoming EP is to start playing Runescape for a while.
8. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? To “Care less”.
9. Tell us about your latest release. I Just released a single & video clip ‘Archons’ about psycho-spiritual parasites that latch onto humans and make them corrupt, venal.
10. What do your future plans involve? The release of a new video, EP and launch show. Then back to writing more music and playing more shows.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Somewhere in Sydney very soon. I’ll post the details on my Facebook page.