The members of Aussie duo SkullClub might live in different states, but that hasn’t stopped them from coming up with a kicking debut single ‘It’s Only You’.
Philip Strand’s vocals helm the track, which blends EDM beats with rock elements that create a thumping sound that threatens to blow your speakers.
To celebrate the release of the track last week, we decided to Get To Know SkullClub a little better in our latest feature.
1. Band name : SkullClub.
2. Where are you based? Melbourne & Brisbane – Australia.
3. How did you choose your band name? Johnny, came to me with the name after countlessly brainstorming ideas. Instantly, I was hooked on the name!
4. Who are your members? Johnny Third (Melbourne Based Producer/DJ) & Matt McGuire (Australian Well Known Drummer & Performer).
5. How was the band formed? I was searching for someone who could produce though most importantly play live instruments to explore the possibilities with live EDM. Whilst on tour in Australia, I met Johnny Third. It was a perfect match. Since then, we’ve created a handful of YouTube videos displaying our ability to fuse EDM with the live elements we project & produce an EP signed to Sony Music Australia, out worldwide March 25 entitled, ‘Monsters EP’.
6. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Since the beginning, we’ve constantly developed our live show, changing and refining the mechanics of it all. Somethings work live, others don’t – it’s all about refining our rig to be tour friendly under any condition.
One of the biggest changes from then to now is the way we write and perform. While we’ve always pushed ourselves to become better songwriters and performers, it seems like over the past year or so, we’ve dug deeper than ever before.
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Johnny and I are both right into heavy/anthem rock music. Essentially, SkullClub aims to fuse electronic sound production with anthem rock complimented by live elements and instruments. To say the least, it was an exciting journey creating a dance track that had these new elements to project the emotion and sound.
8. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Johnny : ‘Closer To The Edge’ by 30 Seconds To Mars is an all time favourite for me. I still get chills every time I hear the break. Matt : I have way to many… ‘Crush’ by Pendulum is my current jam!
9. Tell us about your latest release. ‘It’s Only You’ ftg. Philip Strand is our debut single, signed by Sony Music Australia. It’s a representation of our interpretation of a dance track with our anthem rock theme. Philip Strand isn’t the typical vocalist you’d hear on a dance track. His anthem rock style vocals smashes through the chorus with power and passion. The track also features live guitar, drums and piano in certain sections to embrace the rock elements.
10. What do your future plans involve? John and I plan to release more tracks this year continuing to merge and fuse the elements together to create a distinct sound representing SkullClub.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? Keep an eye out on all our socials for tour and show announcements! Expect an Australian tour this year!
WEBSITE : www.skullclubofficial.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/SkullClubOfficial
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/SkullClubMusic
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/SkullClubOfficial
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/skullclubofficial