Cyrus Villanueva is the first cab off the rank in our new feature on auspOp; Pop Fan Five.
Pop Fan Five aims to give fans of Aussie artists the chance to ask their pop favourites five pressing questions. We then choose a few sets of questions and send them onto the artist to answer.
So here are our first four questioners and their all-important questions of the 2015 ‘X Factor’ winner.
01. You mentioned you would love to write music more and with the release of your new single, how would you describe your sound?
CYRUS : I’ve grown up loving soul, rnb and hip hop… my sound is still developing, but a combination of those styles is the my sound is heading.
02. In a scenario where you didn’t win ‘X Factor’ or join the reality singing competition, would you still pursue a career in performing/singing?
CYRUS : I think it would have been a lot harder, as ‘X Factor’ is such a great platform to get noticed in the industry. However, the passion and love for music is there regardless – and keeping at it and working hard toward a career in music is what I would be doing.
03. What should every man try at least once in his life?
CYRUS : Raw snails. I’ve never tried it, but I think every man should try it just ’cause..
04. What is the one thing you wish you knew when you were younger?
CYRUS : I wish I made the most of every opportunity. I was often scared to join certain activities, such as Southern Stars, school performances etc – and now I wish I did every single one of them because looking back they look so fun!
05. What is the best advice you’ve been given?
CYRUS : Treat everyone the same – Mum & Dad.
01. If you could collaborate with any artist dead or alive, who would it be?
CYRUS : Alicia Keys! I’ve been a huge fan my whole life, so to collaborate would be a dream come true.
02. If you had to choose all new judges for ‘The X Factor’, who would you choose?
CYRUS : Bruno Mars, Alicia Keys, Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar.
03. What’s your weirdest fan experience?
CYRUS : I’ve had muffins delivered to the front door of a studio I was recording in. That wasn’t weird, it was amazing.
04. What’s one place you’d love to visit?
CYRUS : Mykonos!
05. If you weren’t singing, what would you be doing now (career-wise)?
CYRUS : I think I’d either be a graphic designer, or a PE teacher.
01. How do you get inspired through singing?
CYRUS : Singing is my favourite way to express my opinions, feelings and emotions. My ability to do so is what inspires me to sing.
02. Do you have any advice for those who decide to go on ‘X Factor’?
CYRUS : Work hard, give it your all, but most importantly have fun! Make the most of being around like minded people, jam with everyone, whenever you can, talk about music, learn from others and regardless of how you go you will walk away with something just as valuable as a recording deal.
03. What is your most embarrassing moment?
CYRUS : Accidentally saying the Eiffel Tower is in London…
04. What is your single ‘Keep Talking’ all about?
CYRUS : This song is about that helpless point in a relationship, where nothing you seem to do can make it better. You might change what you do and take the blame – even when you think you shouldn’t, hoping that will fix it. It’s at that moment when you realise that walking away is the only thing you can do, but also is the thing that was meant to happen.
05. What is your strongest ambition?
CYRUS : To make other people happy through music.
01. What do you do with the presents given by your fans during your meet and greets?
CYRUS : I have a big collection at home of them all. I always read through the messages and enjoy the presents – and if your lucky I’ll give you a little shoutout on Twitter every now and then!
02. What is your basis of ‘liking’ posts about you on Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter?
CYRUS : I don’t always see everything that gets posted about me – but when I see something that makes me laugh or puts a smile on my face, I don’t hesitate to give a like.
03. How comfortable have you become giving fans hugs and kisses?
CYRUS : I love hugging fans! They’re the ones who are listening and enjoying my music. Without them, I wouldn’t be enjoying my career as much as I do.
04. Have you considered writing a song that you can dance to? Would be good seeing you dance in the music vid.
CYRUS : Keep your eyes peeled.
05. What is your height?
CYRUS : 5″11!
Cyrus’ new single ‘Keep Talking’ is available digitally now.