Ah trees. Don’t you just love ’em, kicking out the oxygen we need to survive as a species?
Ah Trees. Note the capital ‘T’. They’re a six piece band from Perth who’ve just dropped a trippy/disco new single called ‘Chippy’ which we thing you’ll dig.
But what of the band? Who are they? How’d the name come about? What of their evil plans for global domination? Best you check out the latest in our ‘Get To Know’ feature series!
01. Band name : Ah Trees .
02. Where are you based? Perth, Western Australia.
03. How did you choose your band name? The name comes from a tongue in cheek reference to marijuana; a shout out to west coast hip hop that has helped influence James and Ryan in song writing, whilst also referencing Reddit’s sub reddit of /r/trees and the time that we live in, the age of the internet.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Shoegaze funk weird pop blaze.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Probably playing Pathway To Laneway. Got to play with epic bands, the vibe was electric. Awesome crowd who made the night what it was, and the venue in Freo (The Odd Fellow) just has this charm that’s hard to describe.
06. Who are your members? Ryan on vocals, Charles on guitar/synth, Harry on bass, Zach on drums, James on guitar and Troy on guitar/keys.
07. How was the band formed? A couple of years ago as a bedroom project with myself and bandmate James writing tunes back and fourth, eventually we had a good amount of songs finished that we were happy with and then we decided it was time to share the tracks and the band got together. We’d been in previous projects before with our good friends Charles, Harry, Zach and Troy who play guitar, bass, drums & guitar respectively.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Over the last six months we’ve worked hard on our live show, making it fun and engaging while incorporating as much of the sounds from the studio onto the stage.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. It’s disco-funk meets shoegaze/new wave/pop. We use a lot of jangly guitar with soaring synth lines and pads, vocally it’s reverb washed and thrown through delay for good measure which we think all together creates an unorthodox hybrid of funk, rock and electronica with pop sensibilities.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Aww tough… I think a song that should have more recognition than it does is George Clinton’s ‘Atomic Dog’. That song is the foundation of so many popular songs; it’s been sampled in over 100 tracks, and you can hear why, ultimate groove and such weirdness! Troy would say Dire Straights’ ‘Brothers In Arms’ & Charles would say anything from Led Zep’s ‘Houses Of The Holy’. Very hard question!
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? Maybe not the strangest but the most surreal was at our debut gig mid last year, we’d only had our single (‘Bodies’) out for a few weeks and looking up we saw people at the front singing along to the chorus, that was pretty special. Very spun out.
12. Tell us about your latest release. It’s probably our most energy/in-your-face song we have. Nile Rodgers influenced guitars play off souring synths, tripped out vocals and tight disco/funk bass and drums. It’s the song we most like to end the party (show) with, get real sweaty and groove. The lyrics are about not getting bummed about others’ lives, and the perceived success/happiness that they may have and not comparing that with yourself.
13. What do your future plans involve? Single launch, followed by a few more local gigs, with a South West tour planned for mid year and a journey over East for later in the year. We’re currently in the middle of recording our debut EP.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? June 10 at Amplifier, and a whole lot more in-between. Keep up to date with us on our Facebook.
WEBSITE : https://ahtrees.bandcamp.com
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/ahtrees
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/ah_trees
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/ah_trees
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/ah-trees