‘Pacific’ might seem like a strange name for a band who lives in a city on the eastern fringe of the Indian Ocean, but as bandmember Callum tells us in our latest Get To Know feature, the name is less about the ocean and more about the feeling of calm it elicits.
01. Band name : Pacific.
02. Where are you based? Perth, Western Australia.
03. How did you choose your band name? This was one of the hardest things for us! We threw around a bunch of pretty average names before deciding on ‘Pacific’. I like the fact that it means calm and peaceful. At the end of a writing session, sometimes we’d sit out with the view of the lake and reflect on the songs over a cuppa. Maybe it came from that place of rest.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Passionate, Energetic, Driven, Loving Life…
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? We haven’t been a band for too long! Not sure if we’ve had our brush with fame yet!!
06. Who are your members? Callum Burne, Kieran Burne, Matt McCubbin.
07. How was the band formed? We played in different bands around Perth before starting Pacific. Kieran and I are brothers and have always worked together musically. We had wanted to work with Matt for some time and when we all finally got together and started writing, we felt like we had something unique and special to work with. We spent about a year working on a bunch of songs and then went into the studio to create our first EP.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? I think it’s hard to say. We haven’t been a band for very long, but I’m glad we spent so much time preparing and refining our sound before we decided to record. It’s a good feeling to have an EP that we feel is cohesive and a strong representation of who we are and what we want to be. We’re looking forward to sharing that with people as we begin touring and putting it all out there live.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. I’d say it’s a blend of indie pop and rock, and it’s also got some small folk elements scattered throughout the EP too. We love songs that take you on a journey and a lot of our songs attempt to do that.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Always a hard question. If we had to choose one each it would be; Matt – Mutemath : ‘Typical’, Kieran – Bon Iver : ‘Holocene’, Callum – U2 : ‘Where The Streets Have No Name’.
11. Tell us about your latest release. Our debut EP was recorded at Foxhole Studios in Perth. We’re really proud of the five songs on the record! Over the last year we spent a lot of time on each song refining it and making sure it was the best
12. What do your future plans involve? The EP drops April 1 and after that we hope to do a heap of touring!
13. Where can our audience catch you live? Our EP Launch is on Saturday, May 28th at Babushka, Leederville, Perth.