It’s been almost four years since we last featured Sydney’s Phebe Starr on the website. But, with a performance at the recent SXSW over in Texas showcasing her forthcoming EP entitled ‘Chronicles’, as well as the recent release of her new single ‘Feel My Love’, we felt the time was right for her to return to our pages.
We’ve got the questions, she’s got the answers in our latest Get To Know Feature.
01. Name : Phebe Starr.
02. Where are you based? Sydney/Los Angeles.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started writing and performing from an early age. I played at school, home, the local pub and for whoever would listen. My first real start was when my debut single ‘Alone With You’ got its first national spin on the radio through Triple J Unearthed.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Devoted, emotional, experimental, driven, free.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’m obsessed with a lot of music from different genres. I’ve always been drawn to classic songwriters like James Taylor and Carole King, yet I love electronic production. Bjork was a huge influence growing up. I like to think those two worlds come together in music.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Carole King, Jonny Cash, Bjork, Sigur Ros, Sufjan Stevens, Joni Mitchell, The Cure.
07. What are your favorite songs of all time? That changes dependent on my mood. Bjork – ‘Joga’ or The Cure – ‘Love Cats’.
08. What was the first album you bought? Coldplay’s ‘Parachutes’ at a garage sale.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I grew up on a farm in Australia and I had a pet pony called Ice Cream that I rode on everywhere.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Something with a form of artistic expression, art, cooking, seamstress.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Don’t work with crap people and be a boss!
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Feel My Love’ is the first of many songs I have up my sleeve. I wrote it when I first moved to L.A. It came out of a time where I was learning to accept love that wasn’t perfect. It’s about embracing my own limitations and those around.
13. What do your future plans involve? At this very moment, I’m just looking forward to getting back to Australia to enjoy good coffee and breakfast, however we have so much planned it’s hard to keep track of. I am just about to go on tour in Australia with Tigertown, I’m working on a video, more tour dates in Australia and the USA and I have an EP called ‘Chronicles’ in the works.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? Over April I’ll be around Australia and I’ll be back in the USA from May. It’s best to hit up my Facebook page for dates. I’m also on Periscope and I’m a frequent user – I may do something on there again soon.
WEBSITE : http://www.phebestarr.co
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/phebestarrmusic
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/phebestarr
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/phebestarr
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/phebestarr