Rocco Bene featured on our site a couple of days back with his cover version of Madonna’s classic ‘Lucky Star’. But Rocco is far from a covers artist, also recently releasing a new original track entitled ‘Nobody But U’.
But what of Rocco? Who is he? What makes him tick?
We’ve introduced a few more questions into our Get To Know features in the hope of finding out even more about some of your favourite acts. And here are Rocco’s responses.
01. Name : Rocco Bene.
02. Where are you based? Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? From a young age I loved singing and being creative. In my early teens I was reading the auditions section in the newspaper and saw an ad for a producer looking to work with artists… so I applied. After my audition I got signed to their artist management development program and from that I went on to win the ‘Teen Star Competition’ on the Hot30 countdown with Kyle and Jackie O, which led to a recording contract with Warner Music.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Energetic, fun, passionate, genuine, rebellious.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’m inspired by the ’80s and love to incorporate some parts of it in my music. I am also very much influenced by my life and the relationships I have with those around me. I guess it’s the old school romantic Italian boy in me meets dance music.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Madonna, George Michael, Prince, Lana Del Ray… the list goes on. I get inspired all the time.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? I have so many, but three of my favourites are ‘Stand By Me’ by Ben E King, ‘Into The Groove’ by Madonna and ‘Summertime Sadness’ by Lana Del Rey.
08. What was the first album you bought? Paula Abdul’s ‘Forever Your Girl’. My bedroom as a teen looked a bit like I was an obsessed fan.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. When I was a little kid, my cousins and I were in a band called ‘The Funky Gang’ and we would knock on peoples’ doors and perform Paula Abdul songs for them for money.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Some kind of a private investigator.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Enjoy the process and follow your instincts.
12. Tell us about your latest release. We thought it would be cool to do a cover and change it musically. When I was asked what track I wanted to do, ‘Lucky Star’ just popped in my head ’cause I love the ’80s and have always been a massive fan of that track. ‘Nobody But U’ is a collaboration with a DJ/Producer Brandon Laze. When he sent me the track, the melody and lyrics quickly flowed from my head… it was a perfect match
13. What do your future plans involve? Many more releases and international touring.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? I just had my single launch at Café Del Mar Sydney and new live dates will be announced soon on all my social media.