According to her latest presser, Amanda Easton’s love of dance and disco music was purely accidental, formed by a career spent at the front of cover bands performing a slew of disco classics (she estimate’s she’s sung ‘I Will Survive’ more than 1500 times throughout her career).
It’s that delicious dancefloor genre that has inspired her just-released EP, ‘Disco Disconnected’.
But who is Amanda Easton…? And what makes her tick? Find out in our latest Get To Know feature!
01. Name : Amanda Easton.
02. Where are you based? In the Inner West of Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? I first sang in public when I was three, as Mary (Jesus’ Mum!) in the Kindy Nativity play. But it was when I was 19, doing community theatre that I joined a rap/soul group called ‘SLAPYT’ with two other girls. We started writing songs and doing gigs together and the rest moved on from there.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Theatrical, melodramatic, passionate, inventive, determined.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I started off wanting to be a jazz singer, but fell in love with disco and all things beat-driven, so I think my music is a mix of both these things. I’ve always loved pop, so I think the melodies are pop with jazz leanings and there are usually electronic beats involved.
06. Who have been your musical influences? I go back to Madonna and Ella Fitzgerald and then a bit more recently Portishead and Goldfrapp.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Cry Me A River’ from Ella Fitzgerald and ‘Glory Box’ by Portishead.
08. What was the first album you bought? ‘True Confessions’ by Bananarama.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. My favourite snack is banana on toast with grilled cheese on top. It’s really underrated – I seem to be the only person in the universe who appreciates its charms!
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Something to do with animals – ideally monkeys.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Apart from being the best you can be at your job ie the actual performing etc, that you should also always be a professional, be prepared, turn up on time and don’t be a diva!
12. Tell us about your latest release. It’s called ‘Disco Disconnected’ and is what I call ‘post-modern disco’. The first half is a set of original electronica/pop tunes and the second half are their remixes. It’s the kind of album you put on late at night – it’s moody and atmospheric but hopefully by the end you’ll want to dance too.
13. What do your future plans involve? I’ll continue to write and release music for myself but I would love to be a songwriter like Sia – writing for and with other artists too. I will always love performing and lately have got into producing my own shows as well. I have all sorts of ideas for rock shows that I’d like to tour throughout theatres (that I will also perform in of course!)
WEBSITE : www.amandaeaston.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/amandaeastonmusic
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/amandaeastonaus
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/amandaeastonmorel
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/amandaeastonsongwriting