Adelaide duo Auguste recently released their new single ‘Kingdom’ (we brought it to you last Wednesday, you may recall – HERE).
But we suspected there was more to the Auguste story, like ‘where did they get their name’, ‘how did they get their start’ and ‘what about their latest release’?
Luckily, we had our trusty set of probing pearlers to send over to them to elicit their responses; it’s our latest Get To Know feature.
01. Band name : Auguste.
02. Where are you based? Adelaide, SA.
03. How did you choose your band name? August is the month that we decided to start the band. The month also holds some sentimental meaning as we lost a close family member in August a long time ago; his birthday is also in August.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Step-sisters, Best Mates, Music Makers, Music Lovers, Electro Pop Vibes.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Close to 200,000 plays on Soundcloud for our first single ‘Slow Motion’ and playing Glastonbury in 2014.
06. Who are your members? Skye Lockwood & Beth Keough. We play live as a four piece with a bass player and drummer.
07. How was the band formed? Beth and I have always been musical. Auguste emerged from of a previous band we were fronting. We met when we were teenagers and had both written songs growing up until eventually we decided to collaborate.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Well Auguste is quite new, and is more electronic than our previous band. We felt a new sound and a new band was a natural evolution that was waiting to happen for us. We do a lot of pre-production ourselves now too, which gives us so much more control over our sound than we have ever had before.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Our sound has been described as mesmerising, seductive electro-pop vibes with evocative vocals. We have recently been compared to the likes of Bat for Lashes, London Grammar, Kate Bush and Grimes.
10. What’s your strangest experience as a band? Driving around London City in a three seater van (bass player, Beth and I in front) with our drunk drummer in the back singing “I knew I loved you before I met you” by Savage Garden. It was very loud and we almost got arrested for trapping a human being in the boot.
11. Tell us about your latest release. We’ve been so excited to release this song! With Auguste and our first two singles, we feel like we have achieved the sound we’ve been trying to achieve with our music. They both have some really nice melody moments and vocal expression, as well as a really cool rhythm that you can’t help but dance along to… Massive kudos to the legendary Andy Bull for helping us achieve this sound!
12. What do your future plans involve? Writing, recording, releasing, touring, REPEAT!