Jenny Broke The Window. It’s got to be one of the most unusual and entertaining band names ever, right? But it’s not just their name that’s entertaining; their recently-released single ‘Airport Love’ is pretty darn catchy too.
So in celebration of its release and in preparation for their forthcoming EP, we decided to throw our 14 probing questions to them for our latest Get To Know feature.
01. Band name : Jenny Broke The Window.
02. Where are you based? Sydney.
03. How did you choose your band name? We wanted something different, plus our neighbour’s name was Jenny and we didn’t really get on… so it seemed fitting at the time.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Poppy, danceable, hoonish & perfectly cromulent.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Sam was recently recognised on Tinder.
06. Who are your members? Sam Lathlean, Matt McCaffery, Joel van Gastel & Matt Lathlean.
07. How was the band formed? Two of us are brothers who met in a hospital shortly after birthing, and the others met at school and through mutual friends. We always thought it would be fun to play at a bar or pub and have our friends come, so we started playing music together.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today?
1) We’re not practicing in our parents’ garage any more.
2) We’re now all able to grow semi-passable beards.
3) We don’t play the song about our local pub anymore.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Our sound is a blend of bright guitars, sweeping synths and electronic beats all cemented into a backbone of bass guitar and live drums. We try to play music that we’d like to hear on a night out, so it’s generally pretty upbeat and energetic.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Sam – ‘Moon River’ by Henri Mancini. Joel – ‘God Only Knows’ by The Beach Boys. Matt L – ‘Dancing In The Dark’ by Bruce Springsteen. Matt M – ‘Red Right Hand’ by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? That time we were asked to play a wedding in the Middle East.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Airport Love’ is our latest single off a forthcoming EP. It touches on the universal experiences of longing and loss at the departure gate, the pain of saying goodbye to something that you might never get back, and the fear of knowing you let it all slip through your fingers.
13. What do your future plans involve? We’ll be releasing an EP in the coming months and playing a bunch of shows.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? You can catch us in Sydney at Moonshine (Manly) on April 09 and at Newtown Social Club on May 06, and in Melbourne at Penny Black on May 14.