Melbourne siblings MayaVanya have just released their new single ‘Caffeine’, a tasty slice of sexy home-grown electronic-tinged R&B.
But who are they? How were they formed? And what do they want with us!!?
Find out, with our latest Get To Know feature.
01. Band name : MayaVanya.
02. Where are you based? Previously Auckland NZ, but now in the wonderful Melbourne :D
03. How did you choose your band name? We’re generally bad enough coming up with names to our tracks so the thought of coming up with a band name seemed daunting. We’re pretty much always together and hardly even get associated as individuals so combining our names together seemed quite fitting lol.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Fun, same same but different (is that 5 words?)
05. Who are your members? Maya and Vanya (sisters slash BFFs).
06. How was the band formed? We’ve always been exposed to all kinds of music thanks to our knowledgeable and musically educated parents. Funnily enough our dad used to be involved in the music scene back in the day. Coming up with our own musical project was something we’ve always wanted to do so started making mixes and edits of tracks which soon led to producing our own music.
07. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Talking old school – pretty much every single track by Otis Redding and Sam Cooke. Current… Ta-Ku – ‘Down For You’ feat Alina Baraz, Ta-ku feat Jordan Rakei – ‘Sunrise/Beautiful’, Esta ‘For Her And You Too’, Galimatias – ‘Ocean Floor Kisses’, Sango – ‘So Voce’ (Feat Elhae & Esta), Janet Jackson feat QTip – ‘Got Till It’s Gone’, The Weeknd – ‘What You Need’.
08. What is your sound? Electronic, moody, bass heavy, sultry, R&B and house influenced.
09. Tell us about your latest release. Our latest release ‘Caffeine’ (feat Maribelle) is an electronic/R&B instrumental we crafted during one moody European winter while longing for the hot summer nights of memories gone. We then got together with the incredibly talented Maribelle who adds the sultry R&B tip the track really needed. The theme is based around lust, addiction and longing for someone.
10. What do your future plans involve? More production, more collaboration with artists we really look up to, more involvement in both music and lifestyle events.
11. Where can our audience catch you live? We’ve been more and more active in the Melbourne scene since moving here, so follow our Facebook and Insta for constant updates of what we’re up to :D and come say HELLO (we’re friendly)!