Introducing Adelaide electropop three piece Skies.
The boys have just release their thumping new single ‘Speed Boy’, which comes with a highly addictive music video and they’re about to hop on the plane to Ol’ Blighty for a big performance.
Get To Know the band in our latest feature.
1. Band name : Skies.
2. Where are you based? Adelaide.
3. How did you choose your band name? In a haze of a hangover one day. Micah was in a world of pain, questioning the meaning of life, staring at the sky and was inspired to pick himself up and make some music, leading to the band name Skies.
4. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Emotive, argumentative, passionate, eclectic, indie and facial hair. (Ed : That’s seven, but we’ll let them off the hook)
5. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Being added to the official ‘The Great Escape’ line up in the UK for 2016.
6. Who are your members? Michael Zabolocki (zabba), Micah Cearns, Dusty Stephensen.
7. How was the band formed? Dusty and Micah’s friendship started when Dusty was dating Micah’s sister. One day, Dusty and Micah got together and made our first single, ‘Flames’. The response was pretty impressive so they continued to write and release an EP. Zabba joined the band after Micah sent him a random Facebook message asking him to join. They didn’t know each other from a bar of soap. He just heard a song that Zabba made three years ago as a solo project and “frothed”. Thus, Skies became a trio.
8. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Taking on more of an organic approach to the sound, maintaining electronic elements but also incorporating each member’s unique musical talents in order to form something new and developed each time.
9. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We think the best way to describe it is… hybrid. We all come from such diverse musical backgrounds and have such opposing opinions sometimes, but manage to pull it together and create something we all love and hopefully others do too. We think that’s a pretty special thing.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Jai Paul ‘Jasmine’, Jack Garratt ‘Breathe Life’, Glass Animals ‘Gooey’.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? We were playing a show in Brisbane where we played after an extremely heavy metal band. The crowd was clearly there to see them, so their reaction when three hipster looking guys with man buns came on stage was pretty funny.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Speed Boy’ is about lack of progression in relationships. We also like the track to be open for interpretation to whoever is listening. We teamed up with Steven Schramm to try out a new sound and get back out there, which was an amazing experience and great motivation. We’ve got some pretty cool stuff up our sleeves for our next release and can’t wait to work on our own production again too.
13. What do your future plans involve? For our upcoming releases, we want something that speaks to listeners on an emotional and personal level, pushing the boundaries and further refining our sound. We also fucking love playing live shows. The dream is to just get on the road, wither with another killer band or a festival tour. Hopefully no heavy metal bands this time though! We’re pretty open to anything at this stage. We just love working on new tunes and seeing others enjoy what we love doing so much. It’s a pretty cool feeling.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? In the UK! Haha! We are also planning a tour for when we come back as well. We’ll definitely keep everyone posted. Busy times ahead!