This Saturday is Record Store Day here in Australia – the one day of the year when we truly get to celebrate, embrace and champion the physical product by heading into our favourite bricks and mortar stores for live performances, special offers and a slew of special editions, mostly vinyl, that are available for one day only (i.e. it’s a collector’s paradise).
Latest sales figures suggest that while the recorded music industry in Australia actually grew last year (no doubt thanks in part to Adele’s incredible ’25’), sales of the physical product continue to tumble as music fans increasingly get their music via digital means.
But the humble record store remains the place to go to get up close and personal with the product and this Saturday is the perfect time to get reacquainted.
Organised by the Australian Music Retailers Association and supported by all four major labels (and a number of indies, it must be said), stores in every capital city and assorted regional centres around Australia will take part in the day’s festivities.
2016 RSD Ambassadors Ella Hooper and Adam Brand will both be headed to stores for live performances on the day; Ella at Basement Discs in Melbourne from 11am and at Record Paradise in Brunswick from 4pm and Adam on centre stage at Westfield Carindale from 10am, followed by a signing at Rockaway Records.
Some of the other highlights on the day include;
* Country stars Kaylens Rain will be instore at St Mary’s Sound in Western Sydney.
* Performances from Mick Harvey, Tim Rogers, Dan Kelly, Ash Naylor, Saint Jude, The Closet Straights and The Sugarcanes at Greville Records in Melbourne.
* Performances from Russell Morris, The Models, Alyce Platt & Band, Sean McMahon & The Moonmen and more at Basement Discs in Melbourne.
* Six live bands instore throughout the day at Tyms Guitars in Brisbane.
* Perth’s Rhubarb Records will be open from 8am with DJs, drinks and lots of those exclusive RSD releases.
* Mills Records in Fremantle will swing open their doors at 8am for a day of live music, DJs and a lucky dip.
* An instore appearance from The Masters Apprentices at Adelaide’s Rock Therapy Records.
* A 24 hour trade (from 12:00am Saturday morning to 11:59pm Saturday night) for Adelaide’s Clarity Records.
* Live music from Tambourine Girls, Andy Golledge and more at Frank’s Wild Years in Thirroul, New South Wales.
Plus, of course, plenty of those special one-day-only special edition releases, great special offers, discounts, giveaways, instore appearances and so much more.
To check out what’s happening in your neck of the woods and what nuggets you might be able to lay your hands on, head to www.recordstoreday.com.au and we’ll see you in-store this Saturday!