We’re absolutely loving the ’80s influences in ‘Talk’, the new single from Melbourne four piece Big Creature.
So we shot a few questions in their direction to find out a little more about them for our latest Get To Know feature.
01. Band name : Big Creature.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you choose your band name? It was originally suggested by the girlfriend of our old keyboard player. Her fee for usage of the name was $2 but it had to be paid from band earnings. We still owe her that $2…
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Bombastic, well-groomed, sincere, ridiculous, burgers.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Our debut single, ‘One In Front Of The Other’ was shortlisted for the Vanda & Young Songwriting Competition in 2013 and we ended up opening for a bunch of cool bands in 2013 & 2014 including Panama, Fractures & New Empire.
06. Who are your members? Michael Best sings, writes and produces, hacks away at guitar and keys, and tells people what to do; Dan Whalan keeps Michael’s ego in check, plays excellent envelope filter guitar and moog bass; Ezekiel Fenn makes us all look bad by playing keys, bass and guitar; and Lachy Wyatt plays drums, sings and is immaculately well groomed.
07. How was the band formed? This is actually the second incarnation of Big Creature. We formed in 2013, released an EP, played a bunch of shows before the original line-up disbanded in 2015.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Apart from the new lineup, we’ve definitely become a lot more obsessed with the ’80s! But seriously, I’d say our music right now has a much stronger vision than it ever has.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We unashamedly make pop music. Pretty synth heavy with elements of guitar pop. Think Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, M83, Phoenix etc. We can get a bit ethereal but it’s often bright and energetic and you can definitely dance and sing along to it. We’re usually aiming to be really multifaceted and deep but who knows if it comes off?!
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Michael thinks that ‘Everybody Wants To Rule The World’ by Tears For Fears could be one of most perfect pop songs of all time (Michael’s not wrong – Ed), Dan thinks everything we do should sound like ‘Chaos’ by Mutemath, Zeke feels best understood by ‘The Wilhelm Scream’ by James Blake and Lachy just finished a jazz degree so he chose ‘Autumn Leaves’.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? This line up itself is pretty new so there hasn’t been a lot of time for strange experiences yet!
12. Tell us about your latest release. Our new single ‘Talk’ just came out, which is the title track from our forthcoming EP. ‘Talk’ is a pretty bright, synth pop song which is heavily influenced by artists like Peter Gabriel, Prince & INXS that tries to examine the effect that communication (especially when it breaks down) has on a relationship. “We don’t even have to talk” is kind of a double edged sword, because if you read it one way it speaks of a deep trust and intuition between two people, but it can also be read as being quite spiteful.
13. What do your future plans involve? We just have few finishing touches to go on the ‘Talk’ EP, which should see release around the end of July, then it’s just about playing live as much as we can and starting on our next batch of songs.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? We’re debuting our new lineup at the Pelly Bar in Frankston on June 4 as well as having some other stuff in the pipeline. Head to our website for updates!
WEBSITE : www.bigcreature.com.au
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/bigcreaturemusic
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/Big_Creature
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/bigcreature
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/bigcreature