This unlikely looking lot from the Victorian city of Geelong is The Evening Cast. And this Wednesday, they’ll be releasing their sophomore album ‘Belong’, featuring their new single ‘Gang Of Fools’.
Why not Get To Know them before its release in our latest feature?
01. Band name : The Evening Cast.
02. Where are you based? We are spread between Geelong and The Surf Coast, VIC.
03. How did you choose your band name? Its all about the Evening. We meet in the evening, create in the evening, make music in the evening, let loose in the evening. And then the sun rises and we go back to normal.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Joel. Rach. Paul. Rod. Ash.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? We’ve toured with some pretty incredible Australian acts, collaborated with the Symphony Orchestra, headlined toured around the country. But I think our upcoming debut album, is our claim to fame.. Why? Because we took everything we knew, turned our homes into full recording studios, and realised that we had what it took to create an amazing selection of music from scratch ourselves. It was the creating process that stands out and we are so proud of, that make us feel the most satisfied so far in our career.
06. Who are your members? We have three family members (Joel, Rach and Paul Cooper), along with brothers from other mothers, Ash Tricky and Rod Grinter.
07. How was the band formed? We started as a three piece, (the three Coopers) and have naturally progressed from there, pulling in our best buds when we felt the need to expand. For our upcoming release, we worked with a huge collection of music friends.. so it felt like The Evening Cast was a ten piece band for a while there.. but that’s the joy of making an album and having loads of super talented friends.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Our sound is a lot more crafted and distinct. I love it when people struggle to find bands that we sound like, because we are a great mix of all our musical loves.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. It’s modern and dreamy guitars, layered with sweet harmonies and soaring vocals, rich piano sounds over the top of alt folk beats and smooth bass lines.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Something by Dylan, something by The National, something by Dave Rawlings and something by Laura Marling.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? Playing a show at the Giant Lobster, getting told to turn down, whilst seafood platters were eaten before our hungry bellies.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Gangs Of Fools’ is the first single off our upcoming eight track album ‘Belong’. There’s something about this song that grabs people everytime we play it, or they hear it! We had the privilege of working with Jake Plumridge on the most insane video clip, which captures the song perfectly.
13. What do your future plans involve? We just continue to make music, play shows and work with amazing people.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? We are doing a run of shows to celebrate the release of ‘Gangs Of Fools’ in June/July. All the details are on our website.
WEBSITE : www.theeveningcast.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/theeveningcast
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/theeveningcast
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/theeveningcast
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/theeveningcast