Sydney’s Nick de la Hoyde has just delivered ‘Never Gonna Beg For It’, the angst-fuelled second taste (and title track) from a forthcoming EP release.
We discover more about the man behind the track in our new Get To Know feature to kick off your working week.
01. Name : Nick de la Hoyde.
02. Where are you based? Sydney, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? The music all started for me when I was 15 after I moved to Barcelona, Spain to play football (soccer). After being there sometime on my own, things started to get to me, as I was struggling living away from my family and friends and also trying to make the grade as a player. So as a way to help, I would write down my thoughts into a diary and after time, one thing led to another and I was turning them into raps/songs.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. I guess the best five words that describe myself, as an artist would be – fun, emotional, free and expressive. (That’s only four, but we’ll let him off – Ed)
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I guess you could say my sound is a mix between hip-hop, pop, R&B, with a bit of an alternative vibe. Someone once described it as ‘dream pop’, which I really liked. The development of the music has come years of writing and lots of time in the studio with both of my producer/brothers trying new things and really finding out what suits me as an artist and what doesn’t. It’s been really fluid and a proper journey so far, which I hope doesn’t change, because it’s the constant artistic development that keeps me going.
06. Who have been your musical influences? This question is always a hard one as I have been influenced by so much different music. If I had to narrow it down though, I’d say my main influences have been Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, Mac Miller and more recently The Weeknd.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? Ha-ha that is a question I can never seem to answer. I wouldn’t know where to start.
08. What was the first album you bought? Ha-ha that’s actually funny because I would always just take the albums that my older brothers bought and listen to them. That said I’m pretty sure the first album I bought myself was ‘Straight Outta Compton’ by NWA.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. A fun fact about myself is that my sleeping patters don’t really exist, so you will most likely find me most mornings around 2am watching online movies.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? If music wasn’t an option, I would love to have kept playing football and ideally make a career out of it.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? The best advise I have been given in my career would probably be that you need to take each day as it comes and not worry about the past or the future and just to enjoy the journey. Oh and “Rome wasn’t built in one day” so never, ever give up!
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Never Gonna Beg For It’ is the second single from my up and coming EP which is due for a full release in June/July 2016. ‘Never Gonna Beg For It’ is a more serious track to the first release ‘Changing’ and shows a darker side to my song writing. Basically the song is pretty emotional for me and is a mash-up of my thoughts, heartbreaks and determination to full fill my inner most dreams. Really I guess it is a reflection of my journey so far, including past relationships, as well as the music.
13. What do your future plans involve? The dreams are big but the steps are small, so each day is about putting one foot in front of the other and moving forwards towards a bigger stage. I would like to be hitting up the biggest audience I can and performing on a world stage, that’s the dream!
14. Where can our audience catch you live? At the moment, finishing my EP is a priority, but we will be playing some promotional type shows in the US over the next few weeks including some acoustic sets for radio etc. Aside from this we will be touring in the second half of 2016, so keep you eyes on my social media for updates.
WEBSITE : www.nickdelahoyde.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/nickdelahoyde
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/ndelahoyde
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/Ndelahoyde1
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/nickdelahoyde