We’re going international for our latest Get To Know feature… all the way to Canada, to catch up with a new artist by the name of Mathew V.
The Vancouver native has just dropped his first ever single ‘No Bad News’ and, as it’s title suggests, the news is good; it’s a pretty decent offering. Get To Know him here!
01. Name : Mathew V.
02. Where are you based? Vancouver, Canada.
03. How did you get your start in music? Unfortunately I do have the generic “singing since birth” response for you. Luckily I had parents who noticed the spark and jumped on it. I started classical voice training at the age of seven and branched out at the age of fifteen to begin writing my own music.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Honest, soulful, emotive, bad at counting.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I would classify my sound as modern-soul, although I find it doesn’t fit in a conventional genre box. At the age of seventeen I moved to London to develop as a writer and to find my sound. I definitely connect to a UK style of pop music, but I also pull inspiration from gospel vocalists and classic soul music.
06. Who have been your musical influences? I find new music influences everyday. But in terms of the ride or die influences that stay with me everyday, I’d have to say Amy Winehouse, Paloma Faith, Stevie Nicks, Matt Corby and Emeli Sandé.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? It really depends on the mood I’m in. This is a tough one. I’ll say this… I think that Celine Dion is the greatest vocalist of all time, and I can listen to her collection and get chills no matter when or where.
08. What was the first album you bought? The first album I called my own was Destiny’s Child’s ‘The Writing’s On The Wall’. Oh gosh I’m showing how young I am.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. If only I were fun… I’m a legal adult and whenever possible, I try to hit a 9:30 bedtime. That’s fun right?
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? To be honest, I don’t let myself come up with an answer to this question. This is what I was meant to be doing, and making music is where I find happiness.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? “When everyone says that you can’t, show them you can.”
12. Tell us about your latest release. My first single ‘No Bad News’ has just been released! I’m really excited about it and the response has been positive so far. It’s the first single off my album, which will be coming out within the year. Lots more music and content on its way though.
13. What do your future plans involve? As long as I’m better tomorrow then I am today, I am happy. I just want to keep improving and taking the next step in my career. Working hard and continuing to share my music on larger and larger stages, scales and platforms.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? I have some live shows coming up in Canada. But there is definitely news to come and I will see you guys as soon as possible.
WEBSITE : https://open.spotify.com/artist/5XG2NyvMVgff8ZAeKWX8yS
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/mathewvmusic
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/mathewvmusic
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/mathewvmusic
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/mathew-van-vooght