Adelaide’s Nakatomi last week dropped the oh-so-VHS video for ‘Alive’, their debut single.
It’s a bloody good thing too. But a debut single doesn’t come around every day, so we thought it was the perfect opportunity to Get To Know the duo before fame and fortune beckons.
01. Band name : Nakatomi .
02. Where are you based? Adelaide, South Australia.
03. How did you choose your band name? We were watching ‘Die Hard’ and named it after the building John McClane was trapped in. Thank god we weren’t watching ‘Die Hard 4 : Live Free or Die Hard’ as that would have been a hell of a mouthful for a band name.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Neon Drenched Indietronic Future Pop.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? I once played with Die Antwoord and when Ninja left the stage I went for the high five but missed his hand. Unfortunately he was wearing pants with a giant fake penis with a microphone attached and I hit that instead. So technically I got to second base with Ninja. Nakatomi also got to support Miami Horror at the end of 2015, and that show was EPIC!
06. Who are your members? Em Smart – Vocals, Hamish Cox – Synths.
07. How was the band formed? Em and I have known each other forever. We had worked together in a few other bands over the years, but nothing like Nakatomi. We just decided to try something completely different that we had no real idea how to do and it turned out ok.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? We now have a lot more songs, can play them better and have also aged by 18 months. Our sound has been evolving on each release too. I also had a beard at the beginning but it turned out it was so patchy that it just looked like a flock of goatees had formed a small community all over my face. Now it is gone.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We’re a little bit ’80s, a little bit ’90s, a little bit pop, a lot electro, with added dance energy. We’ve been told we sound like if Madonna had cross bred with The Knife and the child was brought up by Purity Ring and taught to drive by Robyn. That poor messed up child.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? I grew up just listening to Prince and Bowie… so this year has been pretty shit. Someone interrogate Keith Richard so he can give up his immortality secrets that selfish bastard! But I’m loving Childish Gambino at the moment and also the new Purity Ring album. However, if I look at my iTunes my most played song is ‘The Theme Song to Beverly Hills Cop’, sadly someone must have put this on at a party and left it on repeat and I didn’t notice for a week, because it’s been played like a thousand times.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? Em and I once played a gig in Wales and after we finished our tour manager came up and said “I don’t mean to alarm you but it turns out this venue is the headquarters of a Welsh Bikie Gang. If they invite you downstairs… do not say no!” So we wound up downstairs, drunk in a bikie fortress listening to Peter Gabriel. Very surreal.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Alive’ is a big and dark electro dance track. We made it with Sydney-based producer JP Fung and are really proud of it.
13. What do your future plans involve? I plan on eating lunch and spending most of the day Netflix binging. But once that’s done we have a few other tracks that that we’re finishing off mixing and also more writing in the pipe line. We have a few demos were working on and just looking to get as much content out to our fans as possible this year.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? We’re playing Aqua Beats festival on July 23 in Light Square, Adelaide and we also have a few more exciting shows coming up that we can’t announce just yet. We’ll hopefully get a tour sorted later in the year to come visit our East Coast family again.
WEBSITE : http://nakatomimusic.tumblr.com
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/Nakatomiband
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/nakatomimusic
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/nakatomi_band/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/nakatomimusic