• Your Saturday edition of The Purge is here and we kick off this week with the new single for former ‘The Voice’ winner Ellie Drennan. Eagle-eyed viewers will have no doubt heard ‘Living Inside A Dream’ being used in promotional spots for the Channel 9 juggernaut throughout the past week. It was penned by Swedish pop starlet Zara Larsson, was released digitally yesterday and is the lead single to be plucked from a forthcoming EP. It’s Ellie’s first single release in nine months and only her second since winning the competition last year.
• The campaign for the new Shawn Mendes single ‘Treat You Better’ is off to a great start, with his label Universal Music confirming that the track was the most added song to Australian radio in the past week. The Canadian teen heartthrob will be in Australia for two shows at Sydney’s Enmore Theatre in November.
• Usher is back with new music, dropping two new songs yesterday. One of them – ‘Crash’ – dropped at digital platforms across the planet (and was serviced to Aussie media), while the other – ‘No Limit’ (featuring Young Thug) – has been made available exclusively via Tidal until Monday.
• Felix Riebl (pictured above) has confirmed the upcoming release of his second solo album ‘Paper Doors’. The charismatic Cat Empire frontman’s sophomore project will comprise ten new recordings, including ‘In Your Arms’ (with Martha Wainwright) and ‘Shadows’. It’s due to drop on Friday September 02. To celebrate its release, Felix will play five intimate live shows in early September – in Adelaide, Newcastle, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. Tickets are on sale now.
• Hip hop producer Clams Casino will release his long-awaited debut album ’32 Levels’ in the middle of next month. The 12 tracker features collaborations with (among others) A$AP Rocky, Mikky Ekko and Vince Staples, who features on the lead single ‘All Nite’, which you can check out HERE. ’32 Levels’ arrives on July 15.
• Aerosmith superstar Steven Tyler will release his long-awaited solo album ‘We’re All Somebody From Somewhere’ in the middle of next month. He co-produced the 13 track opus, the title track from which will drop digitally on Friday June 24. The album’s out on Friday July 15.
• US outfit The Dandy Warhols will tour Australia in late October. The four piece, which enjoyed their greatest success here in the early to mid 2000s, are set to play the five main capitals, along with shows in Canberra and on the Gold Coast. A fan club pre-sale runs through ’til 5pm local time this Tuesday, before general public tickets hit the sales desk at 9am local time on Friday June 17.
• Acclaimed soul/jazz performer Gregory Porter will be in Australia in September to perform two intimate shows in support of his latest album ‘Take Me To The Alley’. Dates are locked in at The Basement in Sydney on Wednesday September 28 and the Croxton Park Hotel in Melbourne on Friday September 30. Tickets for both are on sale now.
• Speaking of soul, Sydney performer Josué will play a one-off Melbourne show later this month. He’s booked to play The Evelyn Hotel on Sunday June 26 and will give his audience a taste of the material from his forthcoming album release, due later in the year.
• And Summernats will take over Canberra’s Exhibition Park from January 05-08 next year, with a kick-ass line-up of Aussie acts ready to help rev up the crowd. Drapht, Airbourne, Spit Syndicate and Thirsty Merc are all confirmed to take the stage for what’s dubbed “Australia’s biggest horsepower party”.
• We don’t know quite what’s going on in the UK at the moment, nor can we quite believe we’re writing this, but the top three on the UK singles chart remains steady again. There’s been no change for the past few weeks, with Drake, JT and Calvin Harris with Rihanna maintaining their positions. Only Kungs vs Cookin’ On 3 Burners threatened to upset the status quo, jumping from No.10 to No.4 with ‘This Girl’. New singles from Clean Bandit and Drake ftg. Rihanna edged a little higher, while Drake also appears on the week’s highest debut… DJ Khaled’s ‘For Free’ all the way down at No.25.
• Legendary US singer songwriter Paul Simon scores himself a big No.1 debut on the UK albums chart with his latest long player ‘Stranger To Stranger’; it’s his first UK No.1 album in 26 long years. Catfish & The Bottlemen’s ‘The Ride’, which was in the top spot last week, is down to No.5 and there’s a new entry at No.6; Bugzy Malone’s ‘Facing Time’. Dexys also manage a top ten debut (at No.10) with their album ‘Let The Record Show’, but the new Fifth Harmony album takes a big second week tumble, losing 22 places from last week’s No.6 debut.
• It’s starting to look a little like Groundhog Day over on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, with no change to the top three again for a second week in a row. But it’s not just the top three steady Stateside this week; the entire top seven remains completely unchanged. Only Rihanna, Calvin Harris with Rihanna and Pink make any movement in the top ten; the latter bulleting from No.16 to No.10 with her single ‘Just Like Fire’. Kent Jones bullets from No.25 to No.13 with ‘Don’t Mind’ and Sia’s ‘Cheap Thrills’ moves into the top 20.
• Speaking of all steady, the Billboard 200 albums chart is once again dominated by Drake and his album ‘Views’, which this week sees off the challenge from Dierks Bentley’s new album ‘Black’. Beyoncé shifts up to No.3 with ‘Lemonade’, while the ladies from Fifth Harmony go one better with ‘7/27’ than with their debut album ‘Reflection’, premiering at No.4. Our very own Flume does marvellous things too, debuting at No.8 with his sophomore album ‘Skin’. Kevin Gates’ ‘Murder For Hire’ just misses the top top, coming in at No.12.
• That’s edition No.139 of The Purge for you wrapped. But, like clockwork, we’ll be back here at 6pm on the East Coast with our weekly wrap of everything happening on the ARIA singles and albums chart. It’s Chart Watch and it’s back tonight.
TUESDAY JUNE 14 : A Day On The Green (Nationally)
TUESDAY JUNE 14 : Flume (Melbourne, Brisbane)
TUESDAY JUNE 14 : Lamb Of God (Perth, Adelaide)
THURSDAY JUNE 16 : Arrested Development (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth)
FRIDAY JUNE 17 : The Dandy Warhols (Nationally)
FRIDAY JUNE 17 : Selena Gomez (Sydney, Melbourne)
FRIDAY JUNE 17 : Pentatonix (Nationally)