We’ve certainly interviewed some pop royalty over our eight year history here at auspOp (pop queens, princes and princesses included), but we can’t ever recall an interview with a pop king.
Consider that wait over, with a little Get To Know feature with Melbourne group Kings!
01. Band name : KINGS.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you choose your band name? It was really Sam who came up with the name. When we started creating music together we saw the opportunity to take a leap and try something new. He decided then and there that KINGS. would be the best representation for what we were setting out to achieve.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Majestic, Refined, Pop, Electro, Rock.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Our manager toured with the 1975 as their photographer, and while she had control of the van’s aux cable she played one of our songs, ‘Whispers’, to them. Note : the band was most likely half asleep.
06. Who are your members? Hayden Jeffery, Sam Buirski, Caleb Williams, Tim Cox.
07. How was the band formed? The four of us all came to know each other through music. We were all driving our own projects with others that just weren’t in it as deep as we were. It was the mutual passion that brought us together to create something where everyone was on the same page.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? What’s changed is our workflow. In the beginning we were attempting things that were pretty ambitious without actually having the security of knowing how we best gel together creatively. It was a case of trial and error and luckily we were aware enough to be able to move on without falling victim to that. We’ll only release material that comes with a natural workflow, not a forced one.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We produce a deep electronic sound using a refreshing blend of live instrumentation and electronic elements.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? There are too many quality songs on this planet.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? There are certain faces that you notice amongst a crowd that stick with you. When we played our set at St Kilda Festival earlier this year, there was this one old bloke who was vibing hard, his arms outstretched towards us in awe the whole time. Our set time was 4:20… he must have been high.
12. Tell us about your latest release. The latest release is our single ‘(u) West Coast’. It draws on the feeling of nostalgia, it’s one of my favourite emotions to feel; it sparks a very colourful and creative energy. The letter ‘(u)’ in the title refers to a place where I once was and once experienced, it holds plenty of memories, stories and sentimental feelings. The track came together out of a jam in preparation for our St Kilda Fest set; we wanted to open with something punchy. It was really well received by the audience that day so we decided to pursue it as a single.
13. What do your future plans involve? We’re looking to take this as far as the music does. We’ll be hard at work in the studio over the coming months to finish a bulk of work that will become an EP release that should set us out on some good tours and summer festivals.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? At the moment the live show is currently under raps while we continue to focus in the studio on producing upcoming material for you all. Stay tuned.
WEBSITE : www.lalunaartists.com
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/kings.ausmusic
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/kingsaus
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/kings.aus/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/kingsaus/