Melbourne outfit Stonefox have recently released their rather marvellous new single ‘Dreamstate’.
They’re also set to launch said single in their hometown early next month. So before they lull you into said ‘Dreamstate’ with their latest track and wrap you around their little fingers in the live sphere, Get To Know them in our latest feature!
01. Band name : Stonefox.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you choose your band name? As songwriters we’re always collecting words and phrases that we associate with or work well in our creative pallet. When we were throwing around name ideas it was something written down in the back of my maths text book (where most of my lyrical ideas ended up because I hated maths) and it just felt like a good phase to represent what we do.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Mellow, minimal, electronic, emotive, dreamy.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Late last year we played our first headline tour around Australia. We don’t exactly count this as a ‘clame to fame’ but it was a pretty special feeling and very humbling to be able to go and play for and meet people that have been supporting our music.
06. Who are your members? Jenna Russo, Monica Spasaro & Tim Carroll.
07. How was the band formed? Jenna and myself were introduced at a concert about three years ago through a mutual friend about an hour away from my house. At the end of the show I didn’t have a lift home and so Jenna offered.
By the time we made it back to my hometown it turned that Jenna had been living just around the corner from me for most of our lives but had never realised until then! We started sending songs to each other and shared our own ideas from there and eventually became Stonefox.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? It really feels like our sound has really matured over time. When we started out we were making really minimalistic beats on a laptop in Jenna’s shed and only really focusing on the songwriting.
Now we’re an EP and a single in and we’re still focusing on putting our hearts in the song, but putting way more energy into the production side of things too and being conscious of how our music translate to a live show.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We make ambient, mellow-pop that resonates with lovers of The xx and Daughter. Think clean electric guitars with trading male and female vocals.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? The three of us unanimously agree that ‘Smile Like You Mean It’ by the Killers takes the title here. Brandon Flowers has a pretty unique way of conveying emotion in his lyrics, and he has great melodies. A love of his work is something we’ve always bonded over.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? One time we had a meeting with a potential manager for the band, but instead of talking about music we spent the majority of the hour being ‘forced’ to play with her French Bulldog puppy and then she never spoke to us again. By far the weirdest hour in Stonefox history. Our current manager passed the ‘no pets’ policy with flying colours.
12. Tell us about your latest release. Our latest single ‘Dreamstate’ was written in Melbourne at our home studio and record in Sydney with Jean-Paul Fung. It was a pretty cool experience getting into the studio with JP because he has such a good ear for detail and really knew how to get the best out of us creatively.
13. What do your future plans involve? New music and lots of touring!
14. Where can our audience catch you live? We’ll be launching ‘Dreamstate’ on the 5th of August at Yah Yah’s, Melbourne, before heading back on the road with Mosquito Coast in support of their national tour in late August.
WEBSITE : http://www.stonefoxmusic.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/stonefoxmusic/
TWITTER : http://www.twitter.com/stonefoxmusic
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/stonefoxmusic
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/stonefoxmusic